• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects requires more RAM than I have available

Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting 'insufficient memory' errors. My computer has 32GB memory and cannot handle any more than that. This is really causing me issues, what can I do? Right now I'm just trying to add CC Snowfall to an image, tweaked to make flying ash.

OMEN by HP 875-1000 Obelisk Desktop PC (3VH40AV)

Windows 11 Home 64-bit (upgraded) update 22H2

Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
System board: 84FD 00
System BIOS: F.26

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: 32GB

Current resolution: 1920 x 1080
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Version: 26.21.14.4614 (5/15/2020)
Aero status: Enabled

After Effects 2023 version: 23.3.0 (Build 53)

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Swandive stream!

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We're always happy to help out. Could you please provide us with some more information about your project? We'd love to know what type of media you're working with, as well as the resolution of the footage. It would also be great to know if you're using any third-party plug-ins.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please send us a screenshot of the footage?

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

My computer blue screen error crashed as I was writing the post.

The media I'm using is a still image with the Snowfall CC effect overlay on an adjustment layer on top. The source image is 1950 x 1300px (I just realised that's oversized and fixed in Photoshop).

No third-party plug-ins. I made the scene into a GIF (if it posts). The snowfall effect used as ashes is the only motion.

The sequence is set to 1920x1080 px, HD.

earthdemo.gif

I often use Premiere, AE, and Photoshop together (computer grimacing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience blue screening happens when the graphics card is getting a conflict.  In AE's project settings set your project to be "software only".  Updating the GPU drivers won't hurt either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. These optional features were available

Swandivestream_0-1681979829522.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the error that you see on the Blue screen? Once these updates are done, I'd suggest updating the GPU driver from the Nvidia website.

Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was too quick for me to read but I'll try to take a photo next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ram assigned to other applications should be an even multiple of 4 GB. Set that in Preferences.

You should also assign no more than about 10 to 15% of your available drive space for Disk Cache settings. Also available in Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also assign no more than about 10 to 15% of your available drive space for Disk Cache settings.

By @Rick Gerard

Is that guideline for when the Disk Cache is on any volume, or only when the Disk Cache is on the system boot volume? The reason I ask is because I set up the Disk Cache on a separate SSD that only stores cache/scratch files, so I assumed it was OK to assign a lot of its capacity to Disk Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Disk Cache needs to be cleaned often. Assign 200GB, and you won't increase the length of time you can preview or the time between cleanings; you'll just drastically increase the time required to clean the cache. Every time you make a change, you re-write the disk cache. Corruption and problems can crop up at any time. AE is not a video editing app, and you should not be trying to preview more than a few seconds at a time until they completely change the way After Effects calculates pixel values. And that's my 2¢ and my experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines