• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Using too much Memory

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects has used all of its memory doing nothing. This happens regardless of computer. Over 45GB ram used without a project file open. 

default24453284pwmocl_0-1690572125963.png

TOPICS
Crash , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have third-party plugins installed? Are you using AE 23.5? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every version I have used for the past two years including 23.5. I have had it occur with and without the one plugin I have installed GoPro FX Reframe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you're able to screen record AE + the Task Manager from before AE starts up until it eats up the 45GB RAM so we can see what you're experiencing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like nearly every issue I have faced in After Effects, it is intermitten. It would be impractical to record until it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped working on a comp, grabbed a drink and came back to errors about memory. DOING NOTHING other then having a small file open 

default24453284pwmocl_0-1691093970312.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 141749.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Cache Frames When Idle enabled? 

I don't see any errors on the screenshots you posted. Were there specific errors, or just task manager indicating high memory usage? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were out of memory errors. I did have cache frames when idle, however this occurs when not idle and the memory is not freed up after closing the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More goofy memory problems.. Running out of memory while using less then half.

default24453284pwmocl_0-1692399539078.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even more fun with memory. I have an entire drive dedicated to cache, with a limit of 500gb in adobe settings. Not even 400gb used (shared with premiere) but I am receiving out of memory errors.

default24453284pwmocl_0-1692399668078.png

default24453284pwmocl_1-1692399680524.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have another engineer look at the RAM issue with you. 

The Disk Cache one seems correct though. You're wanting to use up to 500GB but the drive shows only 433GBs of space available. Unclear from the images how much of that drive is already filled with AE cache files (that are active for the current version of AE) but assuming it's none of that, then you'd need ~500GBs free before putting any cache files on disk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this!

Edit - Preferences - Memory and change RAM reserved for other applications: 27 gb

I did this and it seems to have improved a lot if you use 90% or more of memory your computer will be very slow and you need to have some left over to be able to work better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to clear the cache, it gave a warming that i was about to clear 369 gb of cache. so that used portion is AE only. I bought a harddrive just for cache. If  I am not mistaken 500 as a limit with 369 used leave 131 GB remaining for cache. That is a substantial amount of  memory to have available but be getting a message about being out of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you install the latest version of After Effects and see if the issue persists?

Let us know. I am moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for now.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines