• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Will Not Import .mov Files Ae CC 2018

Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects CC 2018 will not import .mov files with or without alpha.

I have tried importing this file and other similar files I know are not damaged and that worked a while go. But After Effects will not import .mov files.

After searching these forums and the general internet for answers and solutions I followed a few different suggestions: I updated to the latest version of Quicktime and I installed AVID container. I restared Adobe CC, it did not work. I restarted my computer and that did not work. Finally, I uninstalled Ae, Pr, and Me, restarted my computer and re-installed Ae, Pr, and Me and I still can not import .mov with alpha into Ae.

the two errors i get are:

1) "After Effects error: Source file has no importable streams. Please check that it is a valid video/audio file. (86 :: 1)

2) "After Effects error: File 'name of file' cannont be imported - this '.mov' file is damaged or unsupported."

The only other solution I have found for this problem is to download an earlier version of Ae. Unfortunately, that is not possible with my current situation.

Are there any other solutions to this issue, or is Adobe aware of it and working on a solution?

System OS:

Windows 10 latest updates (as of August 24, 2018)

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help if you actualyl just read the "What's new" and "Changed features" section in the online help. Instead of wasting hours searching bad advise on the internet that could have told you right away that QT support via Apple's QT has been removed/ trimmed down in CC 2018 and only a handful of formats are actually supported via "native" file I/O modules. The rest we can't know, anyway. You have not told us the actual specs and CoDecs of your MOV files, so we can't even tell you if this should/ would work under those conditions.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I am more than happy to provide you with whatever information that would help me solve this problem. Where would I find the CoDec information? And what other information would you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would I find the CoDec information?

you can install mediainfo which is a free software. it will show you what codec is used in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this help?

Mediain_Digitaljusic_mov_file.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll bet the problem started after you updated.

AE version 15.0.1 had the normal set of QT codecs.

However, version 15.1.0 (and later) do not.  Adobe stopped supporting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically apple stopped supporting them so Adobe just removed depreciated codecs, but may be worth trying the same file in 15.0.1 to isolate if that's the switch that made this particular file stop working.

If it is, consider converting to a supported codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the file extension from MOV to MP4 - see if this helps. Let us know what happens.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that will not work. I did try it, and it did not work. And it;w worth mentioning that because I need to use the Alpha channel in the original .mov, changing it to mp4 would render the files use obsolete. Thank you for the advice though as it has worked in other situations like iPhone videos that do not sync with the embedded audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All mainstream MPEG flavors that I know of do not have Alpha Channel support. And the MediaInfo screen grab you showed illustrates your MOV as an MPEG4 file. So, something's amiss in you expecting an Alpha Channel with this file. Do you know which app created this file? You said you know this file is functional - so, which app did you use to verify its viability?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

↑ THIS ONE FIXED IT

I had this problem after taking a screen recording on macOS 10.14.4, Macbook Pro 15-inch 2018 2.6 i7, 16GB Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB.

After effects CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to install quicktime player hope that will help you to import files....thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This will fix your problem.

This easily converts .mov files to a codec that can be imported in to the current AE. I just tried it and it works. It's for Camtasia but works the same for AE   https://www.learncamtasia.com/cool-resources/convert-alpha-movs-to-work-in-camtasia-9/

Just follow the 5 min video and download the files below it.

I can now import all my older .mov alpha channel videos and they work as they should do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked like a charm! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you download a pre-2018 AME, you will be able to convert your Movs to a format/CODEC for use in newer versions of Adobe's DVA apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines