• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align Dashes to Corners?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make dashes stick to corners in After Effects like in Illustrator?

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 09.39.56.png

^ Like this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

No, there isn't. You have to figure out all the offsets and dash lengths yourself.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there isn't. You have to figure out all the offsets and dash lengths yourself.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I didn't think so...

That's good then, it's not like I've anything better to be doing with my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's one other thing you could be doing with your time: file a feature request. This would be a very handy thing to have. The more people that file requests, the more likely something will get done! I'll file one too because this would be very handy.

www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is actually pretty easy to do. The hardest part is setting up the dashes so the first one and the last one are the same size and you have an even number of dashes. Once you are there, and enabling the grid really helps, it is a pretty easy task to adjust the offset to align the dashes. You can hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key to make finer adjustments.

To make life easier pick sides to your rectangle that are easy to divide up into even sections. For example if your box is 600 X 400 then a setting of 100 for the dashes would give you 3 dashes and 3 spaces on the X axis and 2 dashes and 2 spaces on the Y so an offset of 50 would be perfect.

Change the dimensions to 600 X 500 and you are out of luck getting evenly spaced dashes lined up with the corners because you have even and odd dimensions. This makes it mathematically impossible to get 4 identical corners with evenly spaced dashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there's a button for it in Illustrator so I don't see why it couldn't be employed in AE.

The same goes for variable stroke widths. That would be brilliant to have in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely. Just pointing out the easiest way to do this in AE.

I'd also like the option to put the stroke on the inside, middle or outside of a rectangle. We can only file feature requests and wait.

BTW, if I am not animating the dashed line I just make it in illustrator. If I have to animate it it's almost always a shape layer rectangle and a little arithmetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's four years later and no sign of this feature. So much for submitting feature requests!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's your lucky day! Check out our tool, StrokeStyler and use it to align dashes to corners just like in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines