• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated Crowd Scene

Participant ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a technique (or better yet, a template) for AE where I could simulate a crowd scene at a concert? If I were to draw, say, 25 or 50 cartoon characters, and put them in an audience at a concert?

Or is the only way to do this is from scratch? Where I would have to put every last one of the people in the audience into the project, one at a time (causing me to lose my will to live)?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Maybe try Youtube for green screen Crowd scenes. Many are copyright free too.

Or search for a suitable template on Videohive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you can generate a million images with some AI tool and then just add some wobbly effects to create the illusion of motion. Even big movies use static photos for this stuff because after the first few rows you can barely discern anything. It's really not as complex as you may think.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used this approach in the past:

1. Create a precomp that's the maximum height for each figure, and place each inside, next to each other, as if in a line
  2. Create your main comp and add in the precomp.  Make it a 3D layer and position it.  
  3. Duplicate this layer a bunch of times.  Swap the X scale on some
  4. In the project panel, duplicate your precomp and shuffle the figures
  5. Back in the main comp, parent all the precomps to a null.  Then select them all and duplicate them.
  6. Whle all the duplicates are selected, hold ALT and drag in your duplicated precomp from the project panel.  This replaces all these copies with the alternative precomp.
  7. Parent these to a new null layer and then move the null layer to place the crowds in a new space

By this point, AE might start to slow down a little, so start using the solo layer options to turn off the precomps until you're ready to render.

This approach gives you a festival vibe, but if you're after millions, then Mylenium's suggestion with something like fractal noise driving a displacement map will get you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would use Trapcode Particular to create the crowd. There's a very old tutorial that demonstrates the idea. It is a lot easier with the newer version of Particular.

You could also use Trapcode Form. 

Using a particle system to create the crowd is much easier than duplicating and randomizing your animated characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines