• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Beginner) Help Finding "Migrate Settings" Button Please?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading.

I've loaded a template I downloaded and when I open it, I get the following message asking me to migrate the settings as the template was created on an older version of AE, which is fine, but I can't find the button! 😞

Aimee2020_0-1642864246551.png

I found another thread similar to my issue, but the link marked as "correct answer" on the thread no longer works sadly, so I'm unable to follow it, but after reading the comments I have clicked everything in the timeline and opened every > under "effect controls" yet can see no "migrate settings" button on anyting; and can't see "particular" anywhere at all! (I can see "particle animation switch" and "particle random speed"). but again, no "migrate settings" button.) 

For the record I do have Trapcode Particular installed. I got it last night to fix an issue with the video length, (it's a 10 second temlpate that was cutting to black at 5 seconds when the particles kicked in). I am fondly hoping that finding this button will enable me to export the video because rendering currently halts at (yep, you guessed it!) 5 seconds. The preview also doesn't load from 5 seconds, which is the reason I thought I'd give exporting a go, to see how it looked leaving it as it was, worth a try eh?

Any help appreciated, as title says, I'm a beginner just practicing and finding my feet so I appreciate any kind or helpful responses 🙂 

Aimee2020_0-1642864618801.png   Aimee2020_1-1642864642846.png   

Aimee2020_2-1642864676351.png

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

So it sounds like the person who made the template has "hidden" the effects by using Expression Controls to make it easy for an end-user to adapt.  But the trouble with that approach is that you get limited to what they plan for.

Probably the simplest approach is to open up every comp from the Project panel, and then use the Timeline search and look for Particular (it's possible the vendor renamed the effect, so you could search for one of the controls, like "aux" instead)

search.PNG

Or you can try Pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aimee2020_0-1642865224786.png

I forgot to add, this is what comes up in the project window searching "par". Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locate any Layer that has Trapcode Particular applied.

You'll find the Migrate Settings button for Trapcode Particular in the Effect Controls (Effect > Effect Controls) tab.

Effect Controls tab showing the Migrate Settings button for Trapcode ParticularEffect Controls tab showing the Migrate Settings button for Trapcode Particular

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying! 

I've taken a look, and I still can't see any layers with Particular applied. I can still only see "particle animation switch" and "particle random speed" - presumably it's meant to be above those?

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like the person who made the template has "hidden" the effects by using Expression Controls to make it easy for an end-user to adapt.  But the trouble with that approach is that you get limited to what they plan for.

Probably the simplest approach is to open up every comp from the Project panel, and then use the Timeline search and look for Particular (it's possible the vendor renamed the effect, so you could search for one of the controls, like "aux" instead)

search.PNG

Or you can try Paul Tursley's script (I don't have it, so cannot vouch for it, and there is a cost: https://aescripts.com/pt_effectsearch/   

Searching in the Project panel doesn't work for effects, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, I've expanded every file and combed through every composition looking for it and it's just not there. Adobe support said the same thing.

Abandonded ship and used a different template to practice with. Thanks for your help 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Aimee-2020 

Reach out to the template publisher to see if there's an up-to-date version of the template that uses Trapcode Suite 17.2.0 with Trapcode Particular 6.2.0 (current as of 01/30/22).

Or, the version information for 3rd party plugins may be included with the template.  If so, you can roll-back your Trapcode Suite to use the corresponding version, allowing you to adjust the particle parameters as expected  with no settings to migraate.

If it's Trapcode Suite 15 or newer, you can use the Maxon App to uninstall the current version and then go as far back as version 15 - assuming that your OS version and AE version are also compatible.  For Trapcode Suite 14 and older, we need to install and license it with the original standalone installer.  Unfortunately, installing multiple versions of Trapcode Suite at the same time is not supported.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines