There are several reasons why you might be experiencing a black screen in After Effects, but here are some general troubleshooting steps you can try to fix the issue:
- Restart After Effects and your computer: Sometimes, the solution to the problem is as simple as restarting the software and your computer.
- Check your composition settings: Ensure that your composition settings are correct, and match the resolution and frame rate of your footage.
- Check your layer settings: Make sure that the layers you are working with are not hidden or turned off, and that they are not set to "Solo" mode.
- Check your preview settings: Ensure that your preview settings are not set to "Adaptive Resolution", and that your preview window is set to "Full" resolution.
- Clear your cache: Clear your cache by going to Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache.
- Update your graphics driver: Check to see if there are any updates available for your graphics driver, and install them if there are.
- Disable hardware acceleration: Try disabling hardware acceleration by going to Preferences > Display and unchecking "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels."