• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bounding Box of imported Illustrator files not correct

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a problem not concerning many, not even being noticed by many, but I just stumbled upon it.

When importing an .ai file the bounding box always is overlapping a few pixels to the right and the center is not correct. Not matter which import options are used – Layer size, Document Size. You can create a simple suqare in Illustrator, import it and zoom in to see the problem.

I am working with a corporate design where the workarea is divided into many squares and elements aligned to that, that's how I noticed it because like that I cant correctly align my stuff.

Any tips for this?

align.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what are the actual document settings in AI? This stuff will only be precise if you work at 72 DPI in AI due to how the program calculates pixels based on inches and DPI. That aside there appear to be issues with this in AI in the last few releases where artboards get 1 px padding on export and equally ominous stuff, so most likely it's really a problem with the AI stuff, not necessarily AE.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried both 72 and 300 DPI via Effect > Document Raster Settings with the same outcoming. You might be right that this issue is related to AI, not AE. Have never noticed anything like this in AE before, while Illustrator is getting more weird with the latest updates (copy & paste from InDesign not working properly anymore etc.). Might have to wait for another fix I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure Snap to Pixel and Pixel Preview are turned on in the View Menu. 

I just ran some simple tests with even numbers for height and width on six different rectangles on six different layers and the bounding boxes all perfectly line up using both AI Beta and AI (latest versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines