Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select individual mask points [AE CC 2019]

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have this "issue" since some time and I don't know if it's my mistake or a software thing. I made a quick video to demonstrate you, that I can not select individual mask points, to move them around. It's not always like that, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I already googled almost everything and tried so many shortcuts. Can anybody help me out here?

Video of the issue:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

i see you already use some expression on the mask path so try to stop this expression and check if you can move the point, some expression can block the normal use of some feature in after effects and this is normal,

to stop the expression click on the (=) button

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.15.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with AE you are just using the wrong tool. The direct selection tool (v) is the wrong tool to select mask points and edit them.

Try selecting the path in the timeline, then switch to the Pen tool (g) and hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key as you move over the various parts of the path. You should be able to see the cursor change. You should also be able to click and drag around one or more mask points to select them and move them. Here is a tutorial I did a few a long time ago. It should get you started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response! It's still not working. I selected the pen tool and hold ctrl/cmd. It changes the cursor, but I am still not able to select the mask points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of clicking, have you tried to create an area around the point you want to modify (with the selection tool)? I thinks as Rick says, that there is nothing wrong with the way the mask tool is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already a step forward, because now it's selecting the individual mask point, but I can not move it.

Edit: I tried also the method of Rick using the Pen Tool and holding Ctrl/Cmd. Did not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see you already use some expression on the mask path so try to stop this expression and check if you can move the point, some expression can block the normal use of some feature in after effects and this is normal,

to stop the expression click on the (=) button

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.15.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate!

Never would have thought, that expressions can block the functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Same problem, but there is no expression going on. I can't select an individual anchor point from the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue recently too - and I found that if I had the layer itself selected and not the mask, I could use the Pen Tool and edit each point individually. Hope that helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hightlight the layer, not the mask, that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines