Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy Animation for Text Title Reveal

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I've searched for hours on the community, youtube and google to try different strategies on how to smooth animation for text reveal. It is pretty smooth until it gets to the end of the swirl and starts chopping. I thought maybe it was just during the preview but when I export it, it's still the same. I cannot use Rove Across Time because it is grayed out, and there are no keyframes in between except for the first and last keys. I've tried Ease In / Out. I've uploaded some screenshots to see the content and used a Pen Tool to create the reveal.

I will try my luck with animation curve graph but I haven't really used that technique and wondering if there is a easier, better solution.

Any suggestions would be amazing.

Screenshot - Adobe Community - AE Post 01.pngScreenshot - Adobe Community - AE Post 02.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Well, obviously I have to upvote you now.  Thank you for your kind words.

When I first watched your animation, I noticed the preview was set to third, which gave me hope that maybe this was a skip frames issue, but then you said it also occurs when exported.  Then I noticed that you're controlling the reveal by animating the start property.  And I was able to replicate the "jumping" or choppiness.  Animating the end property produces a smooth animation.  I've checked the online help and there's

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does choppy even mean? Sorry, but this is kind of pointless without seeing it in motion and/ or having more reference frames to look at. Being zoomed in and viewing stuff at one third resolution certainly doesn't help, either. I find it impossible to make any sense of your info.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're using Stroke to reveal an image and you have mutiple masks.  When you say choppy, is the animation quickly filling in elements towards the end, as the stroke gets near 100%?  Or is it jumping the last points of the final mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg, the Shivering Cactus? I'm following you on YouTube and bookmarked your webpage. Man, I love your work and content! This is amazing for me right now . . . but yes, I am using a stroke reveal. Probably should have used a different term instead of "choppy" but the animation of the curl isn't smooth when it gets near the 100%. It is smooth initially, then starts jumping at 30 - 40% to the end of the curl.

As this is confidential work - it is hard to post the whole image. It is typography animation with customised fonts and the first letters have tails that curve all at the same time. The two of them in the video and screen capture get jumpy, even when exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, obviously I have to upvote you now.  Thank you for your kind words.

When I first watched your animation, I noticed the preview was set to third, which gave me hope that maybe this was a skip frames issue, but then you said it also occurs when exported.  Then I noticed that you're controlling the reveal by animating the start property.  And I was able to replicate the "jumping" or choppiness.  Animating the end property produces a smooth animation.  I've checked the online help and there's no indication why this should happen, but it does.  
It might be worth converting the masks to Shape paths and then you can animate using the trim path function.  (And use a track matte for the reveal).

Hope that all makes sense and welcome to Forumin'. (Doesn't really work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the upvote! I was just really excited that out of all the people in the world you responded and it was awesome. I will try the this "It might be worth converting the masks to Shape paths and then you can animate using the trim path function. (And use a track matte for the reveal)."
That might do the trick.

I'll send an update to see if it worked 🙂
Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After many, many hours, I found something that works similiar to what you suggested. I worked with one letter for the moment but I seperated the letter 'M' and the tail into two seperate Shape Paths by using strokes and track matte. Then Trim Path for only the swirl or tail. However, I only did it for 10 seconds, I hope it will be the same for 17 seconds. I also went through to adjust my Preferences settings and preview to Quarter instead of Full, Half or Third, because I'm working with a 4K UHD size. I also copy and pasted the vector shapes into AE directly from Ai to keep stroke paths. Although, this took me awhile, thanks so much @ShiveringCactus !

Screenshot - 1.pngScreenshot - 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines