Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complex Ramping?

Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody,

I've reached a point where I'm using a number of masking elements and one thing I'd like to do is use a ramp as a value mask, but not just one. I'd like a reflective ramp and/or maybe a washboard of white/black/white/black to use as an alpha for a metal sheen effect, but I can't figure out how to go beyond just a basic 1-2 gradient.

I've tried to use colorama, looked at tutorials and nobody covers this. They use colorama to go in all sorts of directions that I find just...not useful for rampking/masking. Then I use it and I can get the wheel to cyle through but not like a gradient, just full colors. Just frustrating.

Am I going about this the wrong way? How do people create complex ramping patterns?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer styles would be an alternative, but yes, Colorama is way to go. Hard to say where you go wrong without a screenshot, though. Perhaps you need to pre-compose something, perhaps you need to fiddle with settings for input phase and channels in Colorama, perhaps something else.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screengrab. I just don't get this thing. All the tutorials are about doing "Crazy wacky" things. I'm like, great, can you show me how to just use it so I have color 1 color 2 color 3 in a gradient? So far I haven't found anything. They all involve repeaters and alternate methods or involve image tinting. 

I haven't found one colorama tutorial that says 'this is how you create a multi-colored gradient across a solid.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to add a Ramp effect before the Colorama. The effect by itself of course won't do much on a solid. For your metal glare palce the Ramp stops diagonally, then add more ticks to the colorama wheel to create the alternating glare stripes. Animate the phase to make it sweep across the solid.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just now getting back to this. Thanks Mylenium!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines