• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom output paths in 2017.2

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed the latest version of AE and I'm setting up all my business. Trying to set Custom Output path in the render module but for some reason it's acting flakey. When I add something to render cue, it will apply the custom path setting but when I go to render I get "The directory originally specified in the selected output module no longer exists". If I close this message box and hit render again it works (usually). Same setting worked perfectly fine in the last version and I've even tried creating the same output settings from scratch. Anyone else encounter this and more importantly, figure out a way to make it work right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds more like a directory/folder structure issue than After Effects.

Maybe run whatever disk titles you have on your Output To location to verify that volume.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's weird is that when I close the message that says "file path no longer exists", I click render again and then it works as expected. The issue seems to be with trying to "move up" a directory in the template. This worked before but isn't working on the latest version for me. Here is what my custom path is...

[projectFolder]\..\Renders\After Effects\FINAL RENDERS\[compName].[fileextension]

As I said, this same command line worked fine in the last version but is screwed up in the latest. Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Evil Edison,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

same problem here, is there any solution?

TahnkS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was having the same issue and just came across your thread.

My fix was to click the output module after defining all the custom parameters, where it says "[projectFolder..." in blue in the render queue, then point that to actual root of the project folder.

I was able to copy the template folder, open the project, and click render. No weird errors popped up and everything exported to their respective relative paths just fine.

EDIT: Yeah, narrowed it down to the custom file name and location dialog simply not liking "[projectFolder]". If you leave that out and just start with the "\..\" to get up to the folder you want, it will assume you're starting from the project folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This bug appeared again in 2021 (see this post ) and your workaround is succesful in AE 2021 as well!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just learn how to use the After Effects Render Queue?  Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very helpful Dave. I've solved my run-in with this issue in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't you be so kind as to help us all, @Dave_LaRonde, with this problem since you're so wise and all knowing? I've only been working with AE for over 20 years so it must be my knowledge base - not a problem with the program - and I bet if you try to use the same output variables it will work perfectly. Can you try it and report back please?

In my work environment the project sits at the following path:

• X:\agencyName\Client\projectName\02_projects\aftereffects\afterEffectsFile.aep

Here's the string I used in my "File Name and Location Template" until it no longer worked after updating AE:

[projectFolder]\..\..\03_deliverables\[dateYear]-[dateMonth]-[dateDay]\[compName].[fileextension]

The desired result for this would be similar to:

• X:\agencyName\Client\projectName\03_deliverables\2021-09-21\compName.mov

And again, I would get that result in earlier versions.

Here's another example of something that worked before the update:

[projectFolder]\..\..\03_deliverables\CURRENT\[compName].[fileExtension]

The desired result for this would be similar to:

• X:\agencyName\Client\projectName\03_deliverables\CURRENT\compName.mov

I'm sure you great eyes can see immediately what I've done wrong and I'd be so grateful to have your insight. If you leave your mailing address I'll send you a special thank you note!

And I'd like to acknowledge this is an old thread, though on the most recent versions of AE (2020 and 2021) it's still an issue as of this post.

Thank you again, @Dave_LaRonde, for your generous help!

(The rest of you out there on the internet need not reply - I'm sure @Dave_LaRondehas the answers.)
/s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines