• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default setup for 2 composition viewers?

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to set up a project to always show 2 composition viewers side by side, one being the current composition and one being a nested comp within that composition? I can set it up manually, but each time I switch to a new comp I have to reassign the locked viewer so that I'm looking at the right thing.

I've no idea if this is even remotely possible, but it would be so helpful for large repetitive projects where all the comps are similar and need the same treatment.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Sorry. There is no way for the second viewer to know what comp you want to look at and lock that view. You can also set up two timelines by dragging the tabs around, but again, if one of the viewers is not locked, every time you select a comp in the timeline both viewers will display the same comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a new comp in a new project, select New Viewer from the edge of the Composition panel, then unlock the second Comp Panel. When you have done that and arranged everything the way you want you can then save that as a new workspace. When your comp has one or more nested comps you will have to select which comp to view from the options at the top of the comp panel then lock the viewer to keep it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, that's a good tip about saving a workspace. Other than that though, it's what I already do: 

1. Set up the viewers

2. Makes changes to the first comp/nested comp pair

3. Unlock the locked viewer

4. Select a different comp

5. Lock the viewer again

6. Open the appropriate nested comp so it appears in the unlocked viewer.

Is there any way to streamline steps 3-6? It's probably a tall order, and certainly not the biggest problem in the world, but I'm performing this switch about 26 times per project with a new project every 3-4 weeks, so I'm on the hunt for anything that can make the repetitive processes more efficient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry. There is no way for the second viewer to know what comp you want to look at and lock that view. You can also set up two timelines by dragging the tabs around, but again, if one of the viewers is not locked, every time you select a comp in the timeline both viewers will display the same comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines