Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feather a shape layer

Participant ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be possible. Right?

I am trying to create a mask for an animated layer. The animated layer is increasing in scale while changing its position to move off the bottom of the composition. I can create a perfect MASK for that layer, but it moves with the layer. If I could lock the mask, that would be great.

So, instead, I am trying to create a TRACK MATTE. The problem is, I can create the right ellipse to MATTE the animating layer underneath. But, I can't soften it's edges. I've tried adding a glow effect, but it's not enough.

I know this is simple. I've spent 45 minutes trying to do it myself and looking for similar questions/posts... but nothing has helped.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

UPDATE:

Okay, I still don't know if I can feather a Shape Layer.

But, I did finally solve my problem. I don't know if it's the most elegant solution—but, I added a SOLID layer. Created my feather MASK on that layer, and then used the ALPHA TRACK MATTE on my animated layer.

Still curious about feathering shapes....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

Okay, I still don't know if I can feather a Shape Layer.

But, I did finally solve my problem. I don't know if it's the most elegant solution—but, I added a SOLID layer. Created my feather MASK on that layer, and then used the ALPHA TRACK MATTE on my animated layer.

Still curious about feathering shapes....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compound Blur works rather well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Man Saved me some time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, great solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 years later and this is still the best solution I found.

Unless there's something else I've missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah it's crazy they don't have a dedicated feather tool yet 😞 the radial blur tool is also a pretty good work around for round shapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape layers cannot be fethered and that is that. Though e.g. applying a Matte Choker effect would give the functionality to some degree...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your shape is a solid just add a blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's interesting. I had "thought" down that road with the "Glow" effect, but a blur might be more successful. I wish AE could approach vectors with the same effects that Illustrator can (eg, feather).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feathering in Illustrator adds a blur that's limited to the boundary of the layer. It also is a raster effect. If you bring an Illustrator layer into AE and push in and expect it to behave like a vector with CR turned on, it won't because Feather changes the layer from a vector to a bitmap.

If you really need a shape layer and a fully controllable feathered edge, create a rectangle shape layer, add a mask to the shape layer, then use the Mask Feather tool to control the feathering. You'll end up with far more control than you can get in Illustrator or with a blur, and the layer will still continuously rasterize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not familiar with Matte Choker. I'll check it out. Thanks for the final confirmation on the Shape Layer limitation. Knowing is half the battle and all that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can blur a shape by using Filter > Blur > Shape Blur. Oddly, you can use any shape in your library to create the blur, but you can find one similar to the shape you're using and it works really well. Just adjust the radius to get the degree of feathering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can blur a shape by using Filter > Blur > Shape Blur.

I believe Op wanted a workflow to blur a shape in Ae, not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is very helpful thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah just add a Gaussian Blur from the Effects panel to your Shape Layer and it works perfectly! You can adjust what would the "feather" with the "blurriness" slider instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. It saved me college end term project.😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone like me that arrived here looking for "how to feather a 3D shape layer"

Blur won't work, that was my first instinct, but the shape just simply disappears. I've only tried the most common blurs, but I'll do some more tests. I was able to figure out a few workarounds for now (not gonna type them all out since this doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone but me at the moment), but I'm trying to start using more shape layers in place of solids so I'm sure I'll need a better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the shape just simply disappears

can you show an example? I don't see how a blur is different from a feather. they both do the same thing and at a certain amount in both cases the layer will disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Roughen Edges and bring down the edge sharpness to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the best solution!  I use a solid layer above the layer of the graphic I want to mask, draw my mask with my pen tool, then twirl open the "Masks" and increase the "Mask Feather" to the desired feather amount, then back on the layer of the graphic I'm masking: under "TrkMat" (to the right of mode), I change "None" to "Alpha Matte (to your solid layer). Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option:

Screenshot_2019-12-25 10.13.40_EfigtJ.png

Create any shape layer, if it is parametric, convert to a bezier path, change the pen tool to create a mask, click anywhere, pickwhip and expression from the new mask path to the shape layer mask so that it matches, add an additional expression to the mask expansion that subtracts from one of the values for mask feather and divides by 2. Everything on one layer and the shape layer and the feather can be aniamted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rick Gerard can't believe I didn't know you could pickwhip a mask path to a shape path. my life is forever changed. thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a shape in illustrator. then bring that into afteffects. put a mask on that, which you can then feather the mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to know if this is a feature too. Unfortunately, I believe it's not. As I understand, you must feather a shape layer by adding a mask to the shape layer and feathering the mask. Another option that I use frequently is blurring the shape layer with a Blur Effect (Box blur, Gaussian, etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines