• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding all the text layers in whole project

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve alot of text layers in main comp as well as in precomp. I want to select all the text layers (only) in the project (main comp as well as precomp).

I’ve used “Project Timeline search bar” and search for “source text” property, but it only reveal the text layers in the main composition. How can I select the precomp text layers as well as main comp text layers in one go.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

You can always look at the main comp Flow Chart. You can expand the chart to show all layers, and text layers will all be the same color. You can click on any layer or effect in a flow chart and directly to that comp, layer, and effect. The search field only looks at properties in the current timeline. You can also select a label group by clicking on the little colored square. I change the color of layer groups to keep comps organized and make selecting and shying layers easy when comps get comp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to have a timeline open to use the search bar. 

It may be possible to write a script to look through all comps, open the timelines, then select the text layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick for your suggestion. I appreciate it. Just to let you know that I'm very much beginner in writing scripts, although I've Adobe Extend Script sync with the After Effects. So, is there any way that I can access it without using the scripts? Or any sample script available which can filter out all the text layer in project (text layers in the precomp as well). 
Meanwhile, I've also attached a screenshot so that I can better elaborate my point. Please let me know, Thanks again!

sample.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always look at the main comp Flow Chart. You can expand the chart to show all layers, and text layers will all be the same color. You can click on any layer or effect in a flow chart and directly to that comp, layer, and effect. The search field only looks at properties in the current timeline. You can also select a label group by clicking on the little colored square. I change the color of layer groups to keep comps organized and make selecting and shying layers easy when comps get complicated. For example, I select all layers that have anything to do with any motion graphic and make them all the same color. It keeps things organized.

You might check aescripts.com or search the web. I don't know of a script that would reveal only text layers in all nested comps. You would have to go to each timeline anyway to do any editing.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick for helping me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why is this marked as solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines