freeze first frame and extend backwards

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a xclip that is in the middle of my time line. i want that first frame to be dragged back to the beginning. i can't just drag the first edge of it. how can i do it?

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, read the manual or watch some of the basic training available with links on AE's Home screen or on the Adobe After Effects product page. 

Second, don't grab the in or out point, grab the layer with the direct selection tool (v). If you just poke around in AE you are wasting a lot of valuable time. Do some homework.

If you really want to freeze and then start the movie again enable time remapping, set a keyframe where you want the action to unfreeze, then delete the first keyframe or if you can't see the first keyframe  because the footage has been trimmed, copy the keyframe you just set, move the CTI (time indicator) to the in point of the layer and paste. 

After you have done that, type time remapping in AE's search help field and read up on the tool. You will probably use it often and it's always a really good idea to understand your tools.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your response to this guy was a little rude. I think it's a perfectly valid question and time remapping is a clunky and sometimes uncontrollable hassle. Especially when there is a 'freeze on last frame' feature of AE. Why not a the first frame too? Anyway, although our friend above has moved on from his problem, I found that bringing in the first frame as its own layer offered the most control. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines