Having issues importing Photoshop files into After Effects as comps in AE 2022

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues importing Photoshop files into After Effects as comps in AE 2022. I can import them as footage, but not as a comp of any kind.  I get the mac "beach ball of death" and have to do a force quit. Is anyone else having this issue? 

Reinstalled AE and PS.  Restarted multiple times.  Ended up going back to the older version.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything from insufficient cross-app testing during the rushed Betas these days to a genuine bug. The blame is more likely on the PS side of things as they seem to have updated their code massively again and that may break compatibility in other programs that use the import routines. If at all I would imagine you might need to re-save the files from PS 2022, possibly foregoing stuff like smart objects and extended layer styles. Then again this could not do anything. Realyl impossible to say, but if going back does it for you, then I would advise to just sit it out until the next two or three patches have been issued. Adobe's QA process is so bad these day it makes some botched game releases look good...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest Photoshop 2022 with Aftereffects 2021 seems to work, So it makes more sense that the problem is with Aftereffects? maybe?

I have both Ae 2022 and 2021 installed, so I import PSDs on 2021 then open the .aep in 2022, the workaround mentioned by "defaultnaitvym96tna" is not working for me, I'm on windows 11

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having no issues importing PSD files. Granted, I'm on Windows, but everything behaves as normal.

Try creating a brand new, RGB, Photoshop file in 1920x1080. Put, like, two text layers in there. And then try importing that. See if it behaves. If so, yay, we have a start of troubleshooting! If not, roll back to an earlier version of AE (or the public beta) and keep working until you get a moment to file a bug report on UserVoice.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rickb62730593,

Thanks for writing in.

Is it happening only with the Photoshop files that were created in the previous? Do you have text in the Photoshop files? You could try resetting the app preferences. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after...

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, on a Mac with Big Sur

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and i solved it manualy by luck!
Add PSD file as a footage and drag it to make a compisition 
then Drag PSD file again but this time as a comp.
it will work and then delete the psd footage one 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as well

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the exact same issue and this workaround totally does the trick.  Thank you for sharing your luck with the rest of us!  Much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!!! Tricking after effects! Well done!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround worked over here.

Tks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this workaround, but this wouldn't keep the layers in tact - correct? It would merge them. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to import the file twice.

First as footage and then as composition (retain layer size)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact same problem suddenly on a Mac (10.15.7) running AE ver 22.2.  Importing even the most basic PSD as a composition - without any text, no layer effects, no placed objects, or shapes - still crashes AE.  I made a simple three-layer PSD with a solid background layer, and two small pixel layers with transparency which still crashes AE.  I tested PSDs with different color modes, bit depths, resolutions, etc.  Simply nothing would import as composition.

This workaround FINALLY helped, and I'm back to work!

Importing the PSD as flat footage, then dragging it to create a new comp *DID* have a noticable lag, but subsequent tests of "drag to create new comp" were instantaneous, and it seems to make AE happy to import the same PSD as a comp afterward.  Very strange.

Thank you defaultnaitvym96tna!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of After Effects (22.3) solved this issue for me...

I'm using a MacBook air M1 (silicon).

I hope it solves this issue for you all too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Mac Studio and AE 2022 (22.3)
and I just can solve the problem ! 
I tried the tricks above but it does not work for meI can't believe, it's such a major issue for Motion Designers !

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Wed love to look into this. Could you share the following details also with sample Photoshop file?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried multiple PSDs, and multiple AEPs and had the problem every time. But here's the PSD I first tried. I've reverted to last year's AE and it handles the files fine.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have this issue with any PSD file that I import as a composition (retain layer sizes) in AE 2022. Huge issue for my workflow. 

Thanks 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nishu_kush wrote:

Hi all,

Wed love to look into this. Could you share the following details also with sample Photoshop file?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Hi Nishu, has there been any progress on fixing this since your comment in November 2021?   I just ran into the same issue in April 2022.  My more detailed reply is above to defaultnaitvym96tna, as their workaround helped me. A proper fix would be reassuring though.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

currently having this same issue attempting to import psds as comps of any kind

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue importing PS

Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 11.47.06.png

as comp.

PS 23.1.1

AE 22.1.1

Mac min M1 2000

16GB

MacOS 12.1

Process: After Effects [3661]
Path: /Applications/Adobe After Effects 2022/Adobe After Effects 2022.app/Contents/MacOS/After Effects
Identifier: com.adobe.AfterEffects
Version: 22.1.1 (22.1.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Translated)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 

Date/Time: 2022-02-11 11:47:08.7394 +0100
OS Version: macOS 12.1 (21C52)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 

Time Awake Since Boot: 70000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process: exc handler [3661]

VM Region Info: 0 is not in any region. Bytes before following region: 4294967296
REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->
__TEXT 100000000-100004000 [ 16K] r-x/r-x SM=COW ...After Effects

Kernel Triage:
VM - pmap_enter failed with resource shortage

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem. After updating Photoshop to 23.2.1, everytime I tried to import a PSD as composition, AE crashed. I didn´t test @defaultnaitvym96tna  workaroud, but rolling back PS and AE versions did the trick.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced the same issue and found out the reason was presence of  'layer styles' in photoshop. Make sure you turn off or rasterize all the layer styles and fonts inside photoshop before importing as comp in Ae.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue, and I am on a windows. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines