Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys / gurls,

Im having difficulty masking particles.

This is what ive done:

1) I have particles attached to a solid

2) I pre-comped it all

3) I've used a pen too to mask out a shape

I end up with it masked however it's just the bounding box and not the pen shape! How do I fix this?

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 4.30.49 pm.png

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Unfortunately effects like CC Particle World cannot be masked directly, but you can use an Alpha Matte with a mask. 

I would have thought using a pre-comp should have worked, but I haven't tried that myself.  Its possible Collapse Transformations is activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this even a mask and not a shape layer on top of the particles? The blue color is suspicious, as rthe default mask color is pale red. Everything else will require better info like an actual full screenshot of the timeline and comp with the settings revealed. Cropped images of the comp only are pretty much useless for diagnosing such issues. And of course other things liek system info and so on may also be relevant.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately effects like CC Particle World cannot be masked directly, but you can use an Alpha Matte with a mask. 

I would have thought using a pre-comp should have worked, but I haven't tried that myself.  Its possible Collapse Transformations is activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! The Alpha Matt worked a treat! so glad you showed me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share how this is done? I have a very similiar thing. I have a still of an coastal scene. I'm using particles to send th particles horizontal across the image. I'd like to have them only show where the waves are breaking in the white foam. to make the waves look like they're moving. - thanks in advance. Jeremy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you post a still frame, it might be easier for me to show than describe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines