• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a video file from 35mm film shot with a motion picture camera?

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a 35mm motion film camera to shoot some scenes of my productions.

The area of the images shot by the camera, when scanned at around 4k, is roughly 3648 x 2862. It can also be 2214 x 1712 but I prefer to make a higher quality file.

All images are scanned RAW, and I usually drop them as a 15fps sequence in After Effects. Ordering them into an animated sequence is the easy part, but exporting is more difficult.

When I export as Lossless from After Effects CS6 (old version, I know), the file doesn't play on any other devices or plays very slowly and is huge (but the frames look decent, the grain is not too badly damaged by compression).

When I export with H.264 codecs from After Effects, however, parts of the image's edges are randomly clipped in the exported file.

I tried exporting as Lossless .mov from AE, then converting to one of the profiles in AME called HD 1080i 25 (1.33 PAR), but this step either adds black bars randomly, creates a file I cannot play on recent devices, or compresses the image and the result looks very poor.

How can I export a sequence of a pixel size and frame rate that I defined, without losing quality, the resulting file not being playable of having parts of the image cut off?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The long and short answer is to upgrade your software to a newer version or use alternative tools. Pretty much all your issues boil down to the relevant H.264 specs not having existed when CS6 was around and thus you could only produce a custom MP4 file that may or may not be compatible. Conversely, clearly you have hardware acceleration or generic encoder issues which also boil down to the old code being unable to handle the spec due to them not having been defined back then and the algorithms having been designed for the much less powerful GPUs back then, which imposes its own set of limitations. Rinse repeat for every other format like ProRes or whatever. If it's that mission critical, you should have upgraded quite a while ago. Not necessarily Adobe, though... For what you do DaVinci pro would probably be much more straightforward.

Mylenium

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines