• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to copy keyframes and their effects to new timeline layer?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a short animated GIF.  I created the comp then made a new comp and dropped the first version in it and then added a camera shake at the end.

After I did this, I needed to add a little more to it at the end so I expanded the duration of the original, added what I needed, and then made a duplicate of the camera shake version.

When I dragged the new one into the camera shake dupe, the actual keyframes for the shake can be seen in the first version. So what I wanted to do is copy and paste those shake keyframes onto the new one so I didn't have to manually make the shake again.

See the image below:

keygframes.jpg

Can someone tell me how to do this? I tried highlighting the original keyframes and pasting but that didn't work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

There must be something simple you are not doing.  Here, just made this.  I made one layer, animated a square, copied layer, removed keyframes, then copied and pasted.

After Effects - Copy Frames [Quick Tutorial for Adobe Forum] - YouTube

Very straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mark the old keyframes, CTRL+C, click on the above layer's position and CTRL+V.

OR

Mark position of old layer, CTRL-C, click on the above layer and CTRL+V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already that and it didn't work - I highlighted the KF's (they turned blue) Copy, go up to other layer, Paste...and nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an easy way to do it:

Duplicate the layer with the effects.  Then use the Replace Footage command.  The replacement footage takes on ALL attributes of the duplicated layer, keyframes included, at the identical times in the comp.

If you don't need the original layer, just delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I've not had a chance to try this but definitely will.  Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know that keyframes are pasted at the position of the CTI (playhead) right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make sure that your play head is in the location where you would like to paste the new keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that too - put it right on the same frame of the first KF you see below.  No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be something simple you are not doing.  Here, just made this.  I made one layer, animated a square, copied layer, removed keyframes, then copied and pasted.

After Effects - Copy Frames [Quick Tutorial for Adobe Forum] - YouTube

Very straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe caps-lock is active? Can you copy/paste other stuff in other programs - like text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I've not had a chance to try this but definitely will.  Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked.  It's my goof and I apologize and I think I had the layers locked which kept me from making it work.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines