Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to get content aware fill to only apply within my mask and not all other transparent areas?

New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please watch the video on linked below where I explain the issue. Basically, content aware fill is filling in every transparent area of my ultra keyed footage, as opposed to just within the mask I've drawn which is what i want....how do i tell AE to ignore transparent areas outside of my mask? thanks!!! 

https://youtu.be/sdckZueDeYs

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two options. Temporarily turn off Ultra key or put a solid below your footage and use the mask to poke a hole in the solid.

I would probably just use mocha to track the front of the can and then corner pin in a little patch. I think it would take about half the time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, I'm pretty much brand new to AE so all the keying etc was done in PP before replacing with AE composition.. presumably this is just a workflow problem - if I had removed the "blemish" off the can before keying (or had done the keying within AE such that it could easily now be turned on/off) then I wouldn't have a problem.  

Anyway being so new to AE means I have not used Mocha and do not really understand your suggestion, sorry. But I'm sure you haven't the time to explain all that to such a newb lol 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't believe that Ultra Key comes across from Premiere if you use Dynamic Link to replace a shot with an After Effects Composition so you must have nested (or rendered and replaced) the clip before replacing it using Dynamic Link.

If that is the case, then Here's the workflow:

1. Add a solid below the footage layer in the Main comp Premiere Pro created. That would be your Layer 2 in your video sample. The new solid will fill all transparent areas. 

2. select the pen tool draw any closed path you choose on the background layer and set it to subtract just as you did in the footage layer.

3. You have the Parent Links column visible so all you have to do now is press the m key to reveal both layer's masks and then drag the pickwhip from the bottom layer mask to the footage layer mask. 

CAFill demo.png

I just threw extract on the footage and added a dark red background solid. Then I animated a mask on the fotoage layer, created another mask on the layer below, then tied the mask on the background layer to the mask on the footage layer.

Now you can generate your fill layer. When it is complete all you have to do is turn off the background layer.

That's about all there is to it.

If your CAF does not give good results let me know and I will point you to some tutorials on Mocha AE.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines