• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to insert special text Symbols in AE text layer?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody,

Sorry if my question sounds so simple. But I would like to insert special characters (stars, or: ♕, etc) in my Text Layers in AE, only that when I copy/paste the symbol information i get this:

WHITE CHESS QUEEN

Unicode: U+2655, UTF-8: E2 99 95

I am using AE 15.0.1 on an macOS Sierra.

I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL FOR ANY HINT!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

On Windows, I use Character Map, which is pre-installed with the OS. I'm certain there is a comparable app on the Mac, if that's what you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE does not support all Unicode/ OpenType features, even if things have gotten gradually better over tha last few releases. You will have to create a graphic in another program and import that as your layer most likely.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector icons are easy to find, and many are free- start in the assets section of cc and from places like Envato. I have not tried Wingdings in Ae, but it's easy to bring in files as a PNG from Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, I use Character Map, which is pre-installed with the OS. I'm certain there is a comparable app on the Mac, if that's what you're using.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm... have no idea what Character Map is, but I will research it, and see if it works, and come with the results!

I thank everyone for the answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually what I am trying to obtain in the end, is a star which is moving in a half-elips, and has a tail of other 9 stars following it.

I had made it with the repeater, but I have 2 problems:

1. If I animate the POSITION and ROTATION of the repeater I get the 10 stars to move on a perfect circle (and I need it slightly ellipse) + the feet of the stars are facing toward the centre of the circle, while I need them to be facing down.

2. If I animate the path of the shape layer (the original star), and I add a repeater, I don´t get the other stars to follow as tail. The "repeater" stars don´t follow on the path. Auto orient doesn´t help much, and anywaymakes their feet, just like in Problem 1, face towards the center of the ellipse path.

The distance between the stars has to be 0 at the beginning, and afterwards to "create the half" ellipse. So doing it by hand is also not an option. Its has to be smooth.

DOING IT AS A TEXT LAYER, TO WHICH I GIVE A PATH AND ANIMATE THE TRACKING  OF THE SYMBOLS WORKS PERFECTLY! and gives me so much control (Offset, transparency) If only I could insert that star in the Text Layer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You now know which tool to use and a tutorial was provided on how to use it, with AE. What's holding you back from accomplishing your task?

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 steps to adding glyph characters in After Effects.

Tip: make sure the typeface supports the glyph you want to add.

1. Type your copy in After Effects first (to get the correct scale), copy the text and past it into Illustrator.

2. In Illustrator, highlight the character you want to effect, then go to Type/Glyph to select the glyph.

3. Copy the changed text from Illustrator and past it into your After Effects text layer.

I wish After Effects could make it this simple.

Hope this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, do you know how to do this in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the way. I wanted to avoid outlining my fonts to keep things editable through the review process. Obviously this issue isn't fully resolved by Adobe yet, but this process will work in the meantime. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines