• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reopen Timeline Panel in After Effects?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I may be losing my mind...

So I closed the timeline panel when rearranging a workspace and now I can't find any way to re-open it. I've been using this program for 10+ years. I know I can switch workspaces and get it back but shouldn't there be an option to get it to open again? 

scrozier_0-1678997383015.png

Under window there is no option to bring back the timeline panel once it is closed as far as I can see!

scrozier_1-1678997417379.png

Steps:

1. Close all timeline panels including panel group. 

2. Try to reopen it from the window menu.

3. Where is the timeline option?

4. Feel like you are taking crazy pills. 

Title edited by Mod.

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well AE crashed after I tried to hit "\" to switch to the timeline panel and then it came back so maybe just a weird fluke but I was losing my actual mind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scrozier,

Thanks for writing in.

Double-clicking one of the compositions in the Project panel and pressing the "\" key brings it back for me. Could you give it a try? Also, are you able to reproduce the crash with the "\" key? What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)?

Moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Resetting a workspace or changing a workspace should also bring back the Timeline panel. The Timeline panel can be found under the Window menu. If it is not there, re-install AE or roll back a version and then roll forward. You can also try holding done Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd when you launch AE and reset your preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines