• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Video GPU Decode is Unoptimized and Painfully Slow in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expected behavior: When rendering the preview of a comp that has an imported 4K h264 video, I expect that my computer wouldn't use 100% of the GPU Video Decode. When viewing the same 4K video in VLC, my GPU Video Decode is only about 13%.

dandiw45248892_0-1629504109083.png

Actual behavior: When rendering the preview of a comp that has a 4k imported h265 video, my GPU Video Decode jumps up to 100%, and the preview render is a fraction of real-time.

dandiw45248892_1-1629504247422.png

Why I think this is a bug:

1. This happens in a comp that has no other layers except the imported video, but the video plays back faster when just previewing the footage panel
  2. It is a basic 4k medium bitrate Adobe Stock preview video that plays back without issue in VLC
  3. The RTX 3090 GPU is plenty powerful and supports hardware decoding
  4. After the imported video has decoded, all the green bar preview plays back without issue, so I know it has to do with the initial decode of the imported video
  5. During this issue, CPU usage is very low, M2 SSD usage is about 0%, and memory usage is about 50% of 32gb

Is anyone else experiencing this? It's making basic work with imported 4k video very difficult.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Preview , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Typo: the video is H264, not HVEC 265

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines