• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a 3d Illustrator file into After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I would like to ask, how to import a 3d Ai file into AE? So basically, I made a vector shape and made it 3d through effects on illustrator, I wanted to make a rotating animation of it so my first thought was AE, but when I tried the way I do it (create vector outlines) it resulted in this:Screenshot 2023-03-25 141346.png

I have read somewhere that AE cannot process 3d Ai files, is there any other way around it?

Thank you for the replies in advance. ps: I have also created this thread in the Illustrator forum.

J.K.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An AI file with the 3D effect applied is not a 3D layer. It is a 2D layer that changes shape as you manipulate the controls. 

There is no reason to convert a Vector layer to a Shape layer unless you plan to animate the actual vector path, use text animators, or extrude the layer using the C4D workspace. All effects, blends, Gradients, and brushes will be converted to gray-filled closed paths, so you will have to dive into the groups and add your own gradient fills and raster effects. 

If you tell us exactly what you are trying to do, we can help guide you to the correct workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to animate a skull, find a suitable 3D object for it on some online market place like Sketchfab and animate it via Cineware or Element 3D. That fake AI 3D stuff is useless for whta you seem to have in mind.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent 3D effect can export real 3D objects in GLTFUSD, or OBJ formats.

I don't know if that is usable in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still doesn't poduce an actual 3D skull and thus is useless for the task at hand.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he created the skull with the latest 3D effect, he can use export for screens to create a 3D file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you export an OBJ file from Illustrator - search AI Help for that workflow, you can Import the OBJ file for use in Element 3D or another 3D app, add it to a C4D lite project in AE, or use AE Beta to import the OBJ directly into the timeline using the new 3D rendering engine. You cannot directly add the textures in AE, but you can texture the 3D model in C4D lite and Element 3D and other 3rd party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines