Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a Video with 2 audio tracks

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recorded the screen of my computer with Nvidia Replay! which enable me to record multiple audio tracks (in my case : the sound from the computer in 1 audio track + my voice through a external microphone (Blue Yeti) in a second audio track)

When I open the MP4 file in a video play for example microsofts Films & TV app, I can manually switch between the 2 tracks.

But when I want to import the video file into after affects, it shows me only the 1st track (Gameplay/discord audio) and not the voice recording. It is impossible to get the 2nd audio track with it. 

I spent ages trying to figure it out but I have no clue what to do.. I know after effects is for doing effects after however no matter what I do I cannot get any video with two audio tracks to both appear. My friend said this wasn't normal and he could!

Thanks for your help guys, I hope I'll get some support with this! 

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your freind is wrong. It's perfectly normal. AE can handle exactly two audio channels per file and that's it. If you plan on using multiple tracks you have to extract them in Audition or Premiere and import them as separate audio files.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response! It's weird because when I try to make a composition in adobe premier pro to after effects (Selecting all audio both my voice and in-game sounds) and play it in after affects its just two of the same audio (In-game) however works perfectly fine in premier pro.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The duplicate sound is just AE trying to fill the "empty" track the Premiere tells it is there because it can't access the otehr channels. Sort of a glitch, if you will. That doesn't change the overall facts, though. You can't have embedded multitrack audio in AE. All additional sounds have to exist as separate files/ layers.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium is quite correct, of course.  AE can't deal with multitrack audio.  Just drop your file into a Premiere sequence, solo Track 2 and export a WAV file.  Now import your original MP4 clip and the wav file into AE and place them together into your comp.  The MP4 clip will play Track 1, and the WAV file will play Track 2.

Of course, AE is a terrible place to mix and edit audio. You'd find it much easier to work with doing it in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After Effects is not designed to be a video editing app; it is designed to create visual effects, composites, motion graphics, and animations that can be edited in an NLE like Premiere Pro. Most of your compositions should be one shot that is rendered to a visually lossless production master and edited into a movie using an NLE. More than 50% of my work is for dramatic films, and the other 40% is corporate and industrial mixed with commercials. Almost all of my comps are less than 7 seconds. About the only MP4's I render directly from After Effects are test renders of shots to send to the client for approval. If you are using AE to edit gameplay videos to share with others, you are walking into a dead-end street. Stick with Premiere Pro for editing and only use AE when you need to do something to a shot that you can't do in Premiere Pro. It will save you days and days of frustration.

The friend that said he could import video with multiple tracks is mistaken. Premiere Pro or any other NLE is the first choice if you need to manipulate multiple tracks. For further refinement, use Audition. You can go from Premiere Pro to Audition and back in a couple of clicks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines