Importing Path from illustrator to After Effect

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

I am trying to import a Path from illustrator to After effects,

When i do so and when i create the shape from the vector layer, 

The illustrator's path change into an expanded shape and not a path.

Making me unable to do a trim path wich is really davastating.

Example linked 

Any idea of why and how to manage this ? 

Thank you very much 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

When you need a stroke in Illustrator to become an open path in After Effects, you must use a simple stroke in AE. No Brushes, No gradients. Nothing but a stroke. In your example, you need to create a new layer, copy the yellow X, and paste it into the new layer. Name the layer Track Matte, remove the brush from the layer and ensure it only contains two simple paths. The stroke only needs to be a couple of points wide, but you should extend the path beyond the original X on both ends.

You now

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you need a stroke in Illustrator to become an open path in After Effects, you must use a simple stroke in AE. No Brushes, No gradients. Nothing but a stroke. In your example, you need to create a new layer, copy the yellow X, and paste it into the new layer. Name the layer Track Matte, remove the brush from the layer and ensure it only contains two simple paths. The stroke only needs to be a couple of points wide, but you should extend the path beyond the original X on both ends.

You now have three layers in your AI file. The phone layer is on the bottom. Above that is the original yellow X, then the Track Matte layer with a simple stroke over each X.

Import the AI file into After Effects as a composition retaining layer size. Open the comp created with the import, convert only the Track Matte layer to a Vector layer, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the layer, and ensure that you only have a simple path for each part of the X. Now you can change the end cap for the paths and the stroke width so that the lines are just a little wider than the original "X," add Trim Paths, and set the Track Matte layer you created as a Track Matte for the original X layer. 

For an illustration that is this simple It would be faster to just import the AI file as a composition so that the Phone and the X are on separate layers, then use the Pen tool to draw a simple shape layer above the X layer and use that as a track matte. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, 

So my issue was that I had to delete the Brushe on the path.

This has been really quick troubleshooting therefore really helpful.

Have a great day Ricky thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines