• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JSON SourceData late evaluation problem with aerender (Windows)

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - 

I have an AE 2022 installation that I'm using to render data driven video clips with aerender. Before each call to aerender I make a new JSON file. The JSON file is in the project, and is a layer in the comp.

I have an expression in the text layer  like this:

footage("file.json").sourceData.field1

I also have a transform expresssion on the text object which resizes it to fit long words into a given width

Whe I render from the UI, it's fine. When I render from aerender, the first frame or two of the output does not pick up the JSON text, unless I remove the resize transformation.

I have another project which is the same except it uses a Creative Dojo effect to do the resize. That works fine.

I don't want to use Creative Dojo on this new job unless I have to. Can anyone suggest a fix?

Cheers

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any idea what your code looks like and how/ where it's used we can't tell you much. Sounds like it's perhaps a bit too oversimplified compared to the commercial version and thus doesn't correctly evaluate.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - thanks for replying. What code would you like to see? The expression is only the code I pasted above. I have applied the Creative Dojo effect to this project and it has not fixed the issue. So the text from the JSON file is not picked up by footage().sourceData in time for the render if there is a scale transformation on the text layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I have solved this issue and in case anyone else has this problem, here's what I did:

1. The JSON footage file is a layer in the comp, as usual, however I made sure that this layer was lower down the comp than the text layer containing the "sourceData" expression. Presumably that means it gets evaluated first.

2. I added a keyframe on the first frame of the JSON layer, and the expression layer

I think it was item (1) above that fixed it. FYI this was all running on a Windows EC2 instance, which may or may not have been causing the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines