Light Wrap + Edge Blur

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of those crazy people who primarily uses After Effects for compositing. (And has since 4.1.)

As I move to an M1 Mac, I'll lose compatibility with two plug ins I use often: Red Giant Light Wrap and Red Giant Edge Blur (from their long-discontinued keying suite).

I can license Boris BCC and Sapphire and together (for thousands of dollars) can get replacement plug ins.

Along with a lot of stuff I don't need. And for a few thousand dollars.

These are basic effects built into Nuke and I would love to see Adobe include them in future releases.

Light Wrap in particular is invaluable although for me Edge Blur is what I am having more trouble replacing.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Channel Blur may be able to replicate the Edge Blur effect. You should be able to build a Light Wrap rig which can be re-used if you make judicious use of PreComps for the layers; the Chroma Shot and Background. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've used Channel Blur in the past and it's the next best thing but not the same. It only blurs the alpha channel rather than blurring all four channels in the area around the matte. 

As for the light wrap rig, I've used that in the past but it's extraordinarily time-consuming appliying it again and again over the course of a project, as I'll often have multiple light wrap passes on a single shot then multiply that by twenty shots or whatever and it's unweildly. 

I'm learning toward switching to Nuke at this point but it's not M1 native either and $10k/year is hard to swallow.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the Red Giant effects work if you run AE in Rosetta and it is still very responsive on my M1 Macbook Pro. Even works on the bare bones M1 Mac Mini I bought to see if my apps would work. Give that a try. Select the AE Beta app in the finder, right-click and select Show Info, then select Open in Rosetta. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks – I'm upgrading from a 64GB/2.4ghz i9 16" intel MacBook Pro and suspect Rosetta won't be as fast as that so it's not worth the upgrade to me unless I can find native plug ins.

Boris BCC has light wrap and Sapphire has edge blur, but the combined package is like $4000 plus upgrades. Which makes Nuke look compelling all of a sudden. Except it's $10k/year. 😕

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines