• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line to move like sine wave

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, What is the best way to animate these lines in After Effects, to move like a sine wave, all at once. Untitled.png

TOPICS
Audio , Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Simulation - MotionScript.com

Realistic Bounce and Overshoot

Anything from Dan Ebberts is good info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

The math gets a little complicated if you want to animate a Shape Layer Path. The first thing you need to do is start a new shape layer with the Pen tool and set the path to Rotobezier. Just add one point anywhere. 

The second step is to add an Expression Control Slider to the shape layer, duplicate it 3 times and then name the sliders Speed, Amp, Freq, and Width.

Now add the following expressions to the Shape Layer

// to Contents/Shape 1/Path 1
S = - effect("Speed")("Slider") * (Math.PI *

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simulation - MotionScript.com

Realistic Bounce and Overshoot

Anything from Dan Ebberts is good info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is great knowledge base, however I have problem converting these expressions and applying it to the line or path. I would like to animate a path to move like sine wave. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The math gets a little complicated if you want to animate a Shape Layer Path. The first thing you need to do is start a new shape layer with the Pen tool and set the path to Rotobezier. Just add one point anywhere. 

The second step is to add an Expression Control Slider to the shape layer, duplicate it 3 times and then name the sliders Speed, Amp, Freq, and Width.

Now add the following expressions to the Shape Layer

// to Contents/Shape 1/Path 1
S = - effect("Speed")("Slider") * (Math.PI * .2);
A = effect("Amp")("Slider");
F = 2 * (effect("Freq")("Slider") * Math.PI);
pts = F * 5;
if (pts <= 0)
	R = 1
else 
	R = pts
W = effect("Width")("Slider")

P = [];

for (i=0;i<R;i++){
P.push([W/R*i,Math.sin(time*S+i/(R/F))*A]);}

createPath(P,[],[], false)

//to Transform/Anchor Point
x = effect("Width")("Slider")/2;
[x, 0]

Set the Stroke options to Round Cap and Round Join.

If your slider values are 5, 100, 10, 1000 you will end up with a sine wave path that is moving to the right 1/2 cycle per second, with a height of 100 pixels, and a frequency of 10 full waves over a distance of 1000 pixels.

It would be a good exercise to save that as an animation preset. If you press UU to reveal all modified properties in the shape layer and Ctrl/Cmnd + Click Shape 1, Effects, and Anchor point you can create an animation preset the will deliver a path with the stroke width you have set in your layer, the stroke color, and the Speed, Amp, Freq, and Width values you had selected when you save the animation preset. They are great time savers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This work great, thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this script!

@Rick Gerard Do you know a rather simple way to add random Y axis motion to it ? Idelly with a Slider that I can keyframe over time how much random Y movement there is?

I am looking to recreate waves that look like a heart rate on an EKG machine so a bit more random on the Y axis only.

Everytime I add in the random script  ("random(3,30)") - it works but is very chaotic and too fast.

-Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines