Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Live updates from Illustrator to After Effects

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2024 Sep 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am wondering if any changes made in Illustrator like creating new layers will be reflected in the After Effects file? What I am noticing is that any changes made to existing layer is reflected in the AE file but if I add new layers with text/shape to the Ai file, those are not reflected in the AE file. 

Is there a way to make all the changes made in the Ai file reflect in the AE file simultaneously? Thank you! 

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: No.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, will I have to start making the whole animation from scratch if I add more layers in the Illustrator file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's my workflow that will solve that problem. 

1. Rename the folder in the Project Panel that was originally created for the layers when you imported the AI file as a composition
  2. Rename the main comp created when you originally imported the AI file as a composition
  3. Open the original AI file
  4. Add the new layers
  5. Save the file
  6. Return to After Effects and import the same file as a composition again
  7. Open the new footage folder created when you imported the updated Illustrator file as a comp
  8. Drag the new layers into the Renamed Footage folder
  9. Open the newly created comp, select all of the new layers, then copy them (Ctrl/Cmnd + C)
  10. Return to your original comp (the one you renamed) and paste (Ctrl/Cmnd + v), then arrange the layers in the proper order
  11. Return to the Project Panel and delete the newly created comp with all the layers and the footage folder for that comp

There you go. Your AE Project is now updated, the new layers are in place, and you are ready to continue editing. The whole process of updating the original comp and footage folder should take you less than five minutes. 

The same workflow works for Photoshop files imported as compositions. I probably update a project that way about two or three times a month because clients request additional graphics or animations, and I charge for the changes if the work goes beyond the original contract. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines