Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low memory warning (AE 23.4)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've just started a new project and as soon as I've imported the main footage, AE gave me the hated low memory warning.

I'm working on my laptop (RAM is 16GB) and I've already reserved to AE as much RAM as possible. I also shut down all the other applications while working. I've purged all my disk cache and followed every other step I've found online, such as lowering the preview resolution and reopening the project into a new one. Nothing works.

The most disturbing thing is that, as I've said, the error appeared as soon as I imported my footage. No effects, no animations, nothing at all. The file size itself isn't even that big (4.7GB), I've worked with no problems with way bigger files.

Being this a collaborative project, I can't update to AE 2024. Is there a way I can fix it while staying in the 2023 version?

Thank you so much for your help

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about the issue, Sara. We can get it checked.

Do you mind sharing a screenshot of the error that you get? Does it happen only with a specific media file or with any footage that you try to import? If it's specific footage, please share the details (frame rate, frame size, format/codec). Have you tried running After Effects in Save Mode?

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the warning error I have.

It's not my screenshot, I've found this online because at the moment I can't take one myself: the project crashes as soon as I open it, and the crash happens so fast that there's not even time for the message to appear now.

Running AE in Safe Mode doesn't help. I also tried to disable the third-party plugins, but nothing changed. Also, I need them for the work I have to do, and they never gave me problems before.

It happens with all the files I try to import, even after deleting that first file. It also happens with footage that I've used without problems in older projects. I'm pretty sure the files aren't corrupted because I've tried to open them all in other programs (such as Premiere and DavinciResolve) and they run smoothly.

These are the specifics of the file that started the problem:

24fps   ;   1920x816   ;   H.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system is meeting the minimum system requirements. Also, H.264 is not an edit-friendly format and can eat up memory very quickly. However, I agree that After Effects shouldn't crash. Do you see any crash reports? If so, please provide your email ID to the crash reporter and submit it.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that I'm not working on the best-performing computer at the moment, but, as I said, I've never had any issues before and I've worked on really complex projects with a heavy use of 3D without problems. The ridiculous thing is that I got the warning message right after importing my footage.

I lost two days of work looking for a solution on multiple forums, and I discovered that many other users (with way better computers than mine -.-) had the same problem as me with the 2023 versions. Ultimately, they all agreed that the best solution was downgrading to the 2022 version. I've been working on the AE 22.6 version for a week, and everything is running smoothly.

Some people also said that the 2024 version is safe, too.

It's kinda embarrassing how an upgrade made the program worse. It should work the other way round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the inconvenience, Sara. We'd love to investigate. Can you install the latest version and see if you still see the issue? If the issue persists, please share a screen recording of the issue performance in both versions. It'll help us to understand the issue better.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines