• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving the center of radial wipe effect

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm animating a circle using the radial wipe effect. When I apply the effect to the layer, the center point of the wipe effect is different from the anchor point of the circle (I need the center point of the wipe effect to be centered with the circle). Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Without getting too into the weeds here, yes, the short answer is to adjust the Wipe Center controls in the effect. 
Effects with internal position controls like this operate in composition space, so they don't necessarily pay attention to the positioning of your layer (unless you tell them to). 

Here are two layers that both have Radial Wipe applied, with no changes made to that Wipe Center property. Notice how they're both originating from the center of the composition, even though the circle ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The effect has those cute little controls for "Wipe Center", you know... Other than that: In case of doubt pre-compose stuff that needs to align in a neutral position and then move the resulting leayer in the parent comp.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mylenium! I used those controls, although it isn't easy to understand. It solved the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without getting too into the weeds here, yes, the short answer is to adjust the Wipe Center controls in the effect. 
Effects with internal position controls like this operate in composition space, so they don't necessarily pay attention to the positioning of your layer (unless you tell them to). 

Here are two layers that both have Radial Wipe applied, with no changes made to that Wipe Center property. Notice how they're both originating from the center of the composition, even though the circle has been moved? (I added a low-opacity copy of the circle provided for context.)

Clipboard Image (1).jpg

If you want the effect to follow your layer, you need to tell it to do so, using a simple expression.
In the timeline, open up those effect controls. 
Alt/Opt click on the stopwatch for the Wipe Center, grab the pickwhip (little swirlie icon) and connect it to the layer's Position property.
Clipboard Image (2).jpg
Alternatively, you can save a step by just grabbing the property pickwhip (NOT the layer parenting pickwhip), and making this same connection.
Clipboard Image (3).jpg

Your Radial Wipe effect will now follow the layer whereever it goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Since now i used to make a precomp but the quality was not good if you have to zoom after. With you solution everything is OK now. Thank you again. Great! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't works fo me, the Wipe center changes it's position if I pickwhip Position:( And it's at another position outside of the precomp... cannot find the problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your layer parented to another layer? 

Position values within effects are just looking at the numbers you give them. If you're feeding them numbers that take them outside the comp space, that's where they'll be. When pareting gets into the mix, the actual values of a child layer's Position make sense relative to their parent, but may no longer make sense in comp space. 

If you want to try to wrap your head around some of what's going on here, here's a longer discussion about it, and some of the potential solves (including expressions). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBrtrrKDVA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks from me, too!  This is one of those simple things that can be confounding but proves to have an easy solution as you've shown. And great usage of screen grabs to illustrate, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn the expression off by hitting the = icon and it wil behave more like you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!! I saw only today you answer! Great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines