• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My After Effects merges files when i import it

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a .psd that have multiple layers in a group, and i want to animate them separately in AE, but when i import the .psd, all the layers come merged, even when i select to import as Composition - Retian Layer Sizes os as Composition

The .psd is an artwork of a human, so it has a layer for each finger, each arm, each leg and so on, and i really dont want to convert every single layer to a .psd just to make it work. Yesterday i imported a differnt character with the same layer organization and had no problems. Restarting the computer and AE didin't worked too, and both AE and Windows (10) are updated.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Aha - any chance your PSD is set to CMYK instead of RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried ungrouping the layers in Ps before importing? If EVERYTHING is nested into one group, I could see how perhaps Ae is getting confused somehow? Ae will typically interpret Ps groups as pre-compositions, but there's a limit to how deeply it can be nested before that stops working. 

One other thought: If your .psd has already been imported into Ae as a piece of footage (i.e. everything sandwiched into one asset), you can right-click > Replace Footage > With Layered Comp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried and both didn't worked, they keep merged. But I just found out that maybe the problem is the .psd.

I tried importing again the .psd with the other character that worked before, and it imported just fine, all the groups into pre-comps. But now I have no idea what the problem with the .psd is. 

The file I'm trying to import has only 4 characters, each with its own group of layers, and the biggest group has only 6 layers. The file is 4333x2780 px with 200 ppi (wich is a very exaggerated resolution for those characters).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha - any chance your PSD is set to CMYK instead of RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it was with CMYK. Converted to RGB and it worked! 😄
It makes sense that AE would not work with the color scheme for physical media. And I even got lucky that the colors kept almost identical when converting.

Thank you very much for the help! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always nice when it's an easy solution! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines