• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My After Effects preview is all black.

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to repair this? Because every time I try to preview my footage the video shown is completely black. Is there an option to tick or something? This problem started after doing some 3D edits.

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

I've been experiencing this problem for over a month now. One day my video preview just disappeared. Audio played during ram preview but the video was all black. However, today I finally realized the dumb reason why I wasn't seeing any video! I hope this solves your problem as well...

In the preview panel it says "include" and there are a few icons: a speaker icon, an eye, etc. The eye icon wasn't selected! That's why nothing was showing up. I must have accidentally un-clicked it. Make sure it's

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds an awful lot like you're looking through the wrong camera OR you've added lights that aren't illuminating your layers. (Or both.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The black preview applies even if I start a totally new project. Also the green rendering line doesn't fill anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it's time for all of the details you can muster and some comprehensive screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. The preview window is completely black.Capture.PNG

I am running windows 10, quicktime 7.7.9, gpu Nvidia 860m, 12 gb ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the Caps Lock key toggled on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. As you can see it shows what it supposed to be showing on the top left. I am very new to After effects and I didn't have quick time when I first installed it so I was hoping that would be the problem, but I guess it wasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're zoomed way in on your comp viewer. Change it from 400% to "fit up to 100%".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that fixed the issue for me thanks! Whenever i added or change text it turned the screen black.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I did when my screen went black and it fixed it right away in my 2020 Ae. Stupid me for not catching it after hours of searching for the problem.

So hit the eye icon in the preview window to be on or blue as pointed out in my screen grab, hopefully it helps and releaves some stress as it did for me.

2022-01-04_18-50-10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!! LOL THAT EYE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this problem for over a month now. One day my video preview just disappeared. Audio played during ram preview but the video was all black. However, today I finally realized the dumb reason why I wasn't seeing any video! I hope this solves your problem as well...

In the preview panel it says "include" and there are a few icons: a speaker icon, an eye, etc. The eye icon wasn't selected! That's why nothing was showing up. I must have accidentally un-clicked it. Make sure it's selected on your end.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
had the same "problem" and the Eye icon was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

talfeld  wrote

In the preview panel it says "include" and there are a few icons: a speaker icon, an eye, etc. The eye icon wasn't selected! That's why nothing was showing up. I must have accidentally un-clicked it. Make sure it's selected on your end.

Good luck!

I made sure the eye icon was selected, and it didn't work. Any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this works perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working, from nowhere, now I can't play videos, I only hear the sound, even with the "play video in preview" activated. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I'm a new user and about to pull my hair out. So glad this was an easy fix, and a "dumb" reason. Thank you from the future (2024 vs 2017 when you answered this question!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much! I'm a new user and about to pull my hair out. So glad this was an easy fix, and a "dumb" reason. Thank you from the future (2024 vs 2017 when you answered this question!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I realized that it just changed from Active Camera to Front Camera.
I realized that I could see just some elements and that's when I noticed the Camera's changes. It turned black when I was trying to press I-don't-know-what-keys on my keyboard. There must be a shortcut to change cameras....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much this solved the problem I had.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't know how much you've helped me with this answer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TYSM OMG i thought i lost all my work thank u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to purge the application. Go to the menu Edit / Purge / All Memory and Disk Cache. In some cases, the previous ones hosted in RAM and Disk Cache usually give problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar problem today, a black preview!

Solution: I realized that when I toggle motion blur active to a precomp containg precoms, while the prcomps contains very wigling particles. It doesn't RAM-preview. Removing the motion blur solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing motion blur did it for me as well! After Effects 2020 on a 2014 MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines