Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Mask Disappears when it becomes a 3d layer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

I'm working on a project and in the project I am suppose to  take a solid and make it into a ring using masks. I have no problem making the ring, but the next thing I have to do is make it into a 3D layer. Once i do that, I can see the lines for my mask, but the mask itself is gone. It becomes a solid again. The project has it set that the masks are set to both subtracted, and one is inverted. Can I get some help into what could be causing this and how to fix it please?

Thank you.

(Solid Shape as the Start)

soldi.PNG

(Use Masks to make the Ring Shape)Ring.PNG (Change to a 3D Layer, and I lose the Masks...)3d.PNG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

If the masks are not working then the blue layer is not a solid (pixels) but it is either Pre-composed with Continuous Rasterize turned on or it is a shape layer. You can solve the problem by changing the 3D rendering option to Classic 3D or using a Solid as the blue layer or pre-composing the shape layer before you add the masks, or Pre-composing the shape layer with the mask and making the nested comp (pre-comp) a 3D layer.

It is important that you check the notes when you change the Render

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I see that you are having trouble with Mask in After Effects.

I tried this at my end but everything worked as it should. Is there a certain action that triggers this? Is it happening randomly or in all the projects? Also, what is the exact version of After Effects are you using: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-find-the-exact-version-of-after-effects-you-...

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This really helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the masks are not working then the blue layer is not a solid (pixels) but it is either Pre-composed with Continuous Rasterize turned on or it is a shape layer. You can solve the problem by changing the 3D rendering option to Classic 3D or using a Solid as the blue layer or pre-composing the shape layer before you add the masks, or Pre-composing the shape layer with the mask and making the nested comp (pre-comp) a 3D layer.

It is important that you check the notes when you change the Render Settings. There are a lot of things disabled when you enable the C4D rendering option.

Screenshot_2020-04-24 05.17.27_StXCdy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will be sure to apply this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem and using classic 3d doesnt fix it,.

I'm using a solid that fills half of the composition to mask out an image of a box moving from one side of the screen to the other so that the moving box only visually appears as it moves out from under the solid (which is turned off because it is a mask layer.)

the solid is layer 1 and moving box is layer 2. Layer 2 has alpha inverted matte selected (layer 1)

This is a very basic effect and works perfectly.  

Here is where the problem occurs...

The two layers are located in a precomp.  The precomp needs to be moved in 3d  space so I turn the 3d on for the precomp but am unable to manipulate it in 3d space until I turn on 3d for the layers inside the precomp as well.

When the layers in the precomp - the solid and the moving box  - have 3d turned on, the precomp can be then be manipulated in 3d space but what also happens when I turn on 3d for the solid layer and the moving box layer is that the alpha inverted matte no longer works and the solid can no longer mask out the moving box.

This makes no sense.  Any idea what I'm missing?

jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collapsing Transformations will change the render order. Here's how that works.

A Layer in a timeline is examined this way:

1. The layer type - 2D or 3D

2. Masks

3. Effects

4. Transformations

When you pre-compose the layer, the pre-comp becomes a new layer. If you moved all attributes to the new comp (which happens automatically if you select multiple layers), the Nested Comp (the pre-comp) is layer first; then, you see everything you did to the layers in the pre-comp.

When you turn on Collapse Transformations, the Layer Type(2D or 3D)  is passed to the new composition. This means any 3D layers in a nested comp will now be affected by the lights and cameras in the main comp. Any lights or cameras in the nested comp are ignored. 

Let's say you rotate a 3D layer 30º in Y in the main comp, then pre-compose it. Any camera movement in the main comp is ignored until you turn on collapse transformations. If you turn on CT, the cameras and lights in the Main Comp will affect the 3D layers in the nested comp. Any cameras or lights in the nested comp will be ignored when you turn on CT.

If you also make the nested comp (the pre-comp) a 3D layer, you get compound 3D layers, and the bounding box turns into a kind of a cube. You can rotate or move the nested comp, and the relative position of the nested comp will change. Sometimes this double 3D workflow is beneficial. When dealing with double 3D, it is often a good idea to go to an empty spot in the Comp Panel and select New/Viewer.   You can then work on the nested comp and observe the changes in the Main comp almost simultaneously. You have to wait for the frame to render, but it is much easier to figure out where the layers need to be if you have two views.

I hope this helps. I don't have time to put together screenshots right now, but the explanation should help clear things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Rick, this was exaclty the fix I was looking for! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines