• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Painfully sluggish ui in After Effects CC

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enjoy using After Effects and all, the new features are great but the Ui is painfully slow same thing with Photoshop CC as well it's slowing down my workflow.

Is there anything that can be down to make things in the Ui move a little smoother?

Windows 10

intel i7-7700

32 gigs of RAM

GTX 1070 graphics card

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

I seem to have fixed the issue that I was having with AE being really sluggish now!

I ran a www.userbenchmark.com test to see how my PC was performing and it came back with this disappointing result: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26005368

I noticed that the processor wasn't running anywhere near as fast as it should do, I checked my power settings in Windows Settings > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings and saw that my PC was running in power saver mode. I changed it to High-Perfo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which version of after effects are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most current one, After Effects CC 2018 15.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chrdavs,

There's a new version. Update and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here with the latest build - 15.0.1 (Build 75). Terribly laggy UI, selecting layers, dragging things, scrubbing timeline, pretty much everything has a 1-2 second delay. Super simple comps (like 2-10 layers) seem ok but once you're actually working on something it's super laggy.

Windows 10

AMD 1950x

128gb ram

1080 Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Trying to fast preview with spacebar is just impossible.

I'm running on a macbook pro 2017, i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to the most recent version, can't say I see a significant difference in Ui responsiveness. I've also downloaded the 2015 version which seems to be much smoother in comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do ensure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU. Most users have not suffered this issue. Hence it's either not related to AE or it is related to AE and it's a difficult-to-impossible task to find out what the issue is without more info. Hopefully those with this issue will send in a Bug Report which is how most issues begin to get resolved.
You can send in a Bug Report by simply going to the Help Menu item, in AE, and selecting the "Send Feedback" Menu Item.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest drivers from Nvidia did help here, update if you haven't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the latest version as well (15.0.1) and I'm running into this issue. Super slow to select keyframes and scrub along the timeline. Makes working efficiently basically impossible.

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

64GB RAM

1080 Ti x2 (Only one enabled for AE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here. UI is very slow - could be 2x 4k monitor?

Turning off hardware accelarated composition etc. makes no change.

i7 / 2x1080gtx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's the 4k display. All the Adobe apps currently run sluggish as hell on everything above 1440p. As soon as some sort of retina scaling is involved they become almost unusable. It's a huge scandal if you ask me, since this issue has persisted since at least 5 years and absolutely nothing has improved. I have a thread here from 2017 about this, and no change at all. Just got a brand new mac pro and STILL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here as well, I'm using AE 2018 15.1.2 on windows 10(1803), when I am draging the timeslider it always moving with great delay. My dekstop scaling is set to 125%. When I set it to 100% AE UI start to perform better. I'v installed AE 2015 as well and UI is performing the same way on scaled desktop.

Windows 10

2x intel xeon e5-2660

128GB RAM

gtx 970 driver 24.21.13.9836

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scaling is the problem. Somehow Adobe apps can't handle this.

They NEED to fix this. Please go over here https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39408616-please-fix-the-slo... and leave a vote.

And here: 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/34841689-bug-ui-is-glitchy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem on CC 2019 / Windows 10 Pro
Super Sluggish UI, difficult to work.

I did some realtime GIF that shows the problem :
After Effects CC 2019 - SLOW, LAG & CRASH REPORT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem and spent days trying to fix it, including reinstalling my GPU drivers and returning to several earlier editions of AE. Then AE crashed with a font error on startup. This at least gave me a clue. After more Googling, I took these steps.

1. Changed the power settings in Windows to "High performance" (I'm using a desktop). That made a slight but noticeable improvement.

2. Purged all the Adobe fonts and their caches (they are all over the place and it takes time to find them).

3. Installed FontDoctor, which found 26 corrupt fonts. I quarantined and deleted them. Be aware that you will need to run FontDoctor as the administrator, or it won't quarantine anything.

This has made a large improvement. It's still slower than I would prefer, but it is much, much faster than before (especially previews).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm back to square one again. After a while my project started slowing down, and then AE kept freezing when I tried to render the project. So I scrapped the lot and started the entire project from scratch (30 hours of work wasted). That was going ok until recently, when AE just started crashing hard, repeatedly. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Again, I can work for about ten minutes, then it crashes hard again. This is really getting old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've somehow managed to get AE to behave itself; at least it's not repeatedly hard crashing anymore. This new project is going ok and I'm reconstructing a lot of what I did before. However, the UI is still painfully slow, and if I create a text layer by dragging the text tool and then clicking in the layer, AE freezes for almost a minute before giving me access to the inside of the textbox. So right now I'm totally avoiding drawing text boxes, which isn't great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is running these processes.

1. AAfter Effects CC 2019

2. Adobe Dynamic Link Manager CC 2019.

3. Console Window Host.

4. Log Transport Application.

5. Team Projects Local Hub 16.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this really badly in CC2020. My PC is fairly beefy with the following specs, but I still have lag of like 1-2 seconds when selecting or dragging items, it becomes infuriating throughout the day! I also have issues of when I am moving/dragging items, because of the lag the item (for example a layer in or out point) seems to stick to the mouse so it's not accurate. Really annoying!

If anyone has got any tips, please let me know!

Windows 10

Intel I7 6700K

RTX2080ti + GTX970 - The monitors are running at 100% scaling at 2560x1440, and connected to my GTX970 (my pc is set up for Maya + Vray rendering).

32GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro tip: ditch adobe! 

sorry, no better idea 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have fixed the issue that I was having with AE being really sluggish now!

I ran a www.userbenchmark.com test to see how my PC was performing and it came back with this disappointing result: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26005368

I noticed that the processor wasn't running anywhere near as fast as it should do, I checked my power settings in Windows Settings > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings and saw that my PC was running in power saver mode. I changed it to High-Performance mode instead and suddenly After Effects came back to life and the lag is now gone.

The results are clear in the userbenchmark.com test that I did after this 😄 https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26005636

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac trashcan, with BenQ 321 monitor: setting the monitor to default scaling worked for me. 

But I could really use the tighter scaling. Adobe, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I have the same problem for the last 6 months. The software runs at a normal speed but if I click in the menu (file, edition, etc.) I have to wait for minutes before it responds. My computer is not even saturated, the CPU is at 18%, the GPU at 1% and the RAM at 50%. It tried the tips mentioned by the earlier messages, but it doesn't help. My computer is already in performance mode and my scaling is at 100%. I formated my computer and made a clean install and the problem is still there.
How can I work properly if each click to the top menu freezes my computer for a minute or two? Illustrator and Photoshop also run very slow even for the simplest tasks.
Please help!!!!
Thank you

Laptop:

Lenovo P52, Windows 11
CPU: Intel Core i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM : 32Go

GPU : NVIDIA Quadro P3200 with Max-Q Design
All drivers and software up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting power plan to High performance on my Desktop instantly fixed the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines