• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parenting shape groups independently within the same shape layer?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a meaty problem I'm trying to solve.

I'd like to create a rig in AE where I could use a rigged limb to control different groups within the same shape layer—independently.

The reason I'd like to do this: to be able to independently control groups within one shape layer which can merge paths, then have a fill/stroke drawn for them within the layer. But to move them independently like a rigged limb.

As an example, here's how I have a shape layer set up:

Shape Layer

> Group (torso)

>> Left half of torso path

>>  Repeater (flips the path and offsets it to create a symmetrical torso)

> Group (trunk)

>> Left half of trunk path

>>  Repeater (flips the path and offsets it to create a symmetrical trunk)

> Merge Paths (add)

> Stroke

> Fill

The above layout creates a situation where I can use "Create Nulls From Paths Extended" to model a symmetrical torso/trunk of a character.

From here, is it possible to create a limb (say, with Limber, where you can normally parent pieces to the skeletal limb to create animation) which controls the groups independently, while keeping them inside the shape layer (and preserving the stroke/fill broadly applied to both)?

I'm mainly doing this to create a riggable structure for character anatomy which is controlled/modeled with points, but keep it inside one shape layer to consolidate edges (and prevent/control seams where there's flexion).

Is this possible, or am I insane for attempting to figure this out?

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever functionality you envision with specific scripts is entirely up to the authors of those. Otherwise of course it's possible. It may just involve writing a ton of custom expressions to convert the coordinates and mimic the parenting behavior. That and of course you can't play it lazy and use Repeaters. Instead all paths will have to be actually duplicated.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right about repeaters. They are the point where all of this kind of comes apart. I may rethink my approach to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines