Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool in after efefcts

Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to follow one tutorial. The tutor very smoothly used the pen tool. like magic, No way I can achieve the same look. I try to google the hotkeys for the pen tool in after effects, I mean if he pressed any key like ctrl or shift while dragging. I found nothing on the web, how can he drag so smoothly? When I drag I only drag the bezier handle, I don't find any point/square point as he does.

Please help.:(

Tutor's pen toolTutor's pen toolmy pen tool :@my pen tool :@

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the path in the timeline, then change from the pen tool (g) to the selection tool (v) and pay attention to the pointer. When it is a white-filled small arrow, you can drag a selection around multiple points or even select line segments. 

If you need to brake vertices, hold down the Alt/Option key with the Pen tool selected to bring up the appropriate tool. Again, pay attention to the pointer. It just takes practice. 

Holding down the Shift key while dragging a selection with the Pen tool or the Selection tool will limit the move to horizontal, vertical, or 45º. 

When you have problems with a tutorial, include a link to the tutorial. Unfortunately, most of the tutorials you find with a web search are prepared by well-meaning enthusiasts, and the workflows and explanations can be a bit sketchy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Most of the tutorials am learning from are paid. So I cant attach any link. I only can creat a GIF of the part am facing a problem with, Thank you for your kind reply. I will Follow your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a very quick and old tutorial on how to use the Pen tool. I should redo the tutorial showing the selection tool options and advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely keep at is.  Pen tool is one of those tools when you first look at it seems like the stupidest tool, but is really one of the most powerful. 

It takes a lot of practice to get proficient but definitely worth the hours and heartache to get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines