Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview in After Effects doesn't work

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am working on a project in After Effects and all of a sudden the preview stopped working. I push play and the active camera starts but nothing happends. I have tried to start a new project but I have the same issue. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

/Mia

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Try going to:

Edit>Purge>All Memory & Disk Cache

Also, is this happening all the time or does it work when you restart Ae or your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check to see if the “caps lock” key is pressed on your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caps lock is not activated.

/Mia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post a screen recording of this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have pressed play in preview and you can see the stop mark. But the preview doesn't show.

/Mia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to:

Edit>Purge>All Memory & Disk Cache

Also, is this happening all the time or does it work when you restart Ae or your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restarted the computer and purged all memory and disk cache and now it's working!!! Thank you sooooo much!! Lifesaver!

/Mia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this remove all previous projects that i have saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, purging does not effect your actual project files. It just deletes any ram previews, so if you opened an odler project that used theses previews, you;d just have to wait for Ae to build them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem where my After Effects 2022 it only playbacks 4 frames repeatedly, as if my "work area" is those only 4 frames. This happens everywhere in the comp when i press space to playback the comp, its just renders the first 4 frames and does that forever. (i sent 2 screenshots)

I a already cleared my cache and memory and restarted my mac numeroous times and nothing fixes it. Do you a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought I have a similar problem and tried Purge, but it still doesn't work.

I hit space and nothing happens. its the same when push the play/stop button on the preview panel.

I've noticed that when I hit space again, in order to stop the preview, the time indicator jumps one frame backwards.

Im not the only one who uses this computer, so it might be that someone changed some settings...

Does anyone knows how to fix this?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. It's so annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, the time indicator jump backward when I press space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same exact thing is going on with me. did anyone figure this out? please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked! Weird fix😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol a new person

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope didn't work in the long run. Also this is actually related to another problem. But i guess it's similar to reseting the prefs folder in Maya. Anyways... after a short while the playback problem comes back. No fix as of now for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Not sure if you found your answer but it has been solved in a related post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effect-preview-not-work/td-p/9804111

In short, it's because of Audio Hardware (and audio devices connected to your laptop/pc)

I've changed my audio hardware from MME to ASIO and the problem has been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. It's infinitely annoying. And it has been over more than a year... It just sometimes happens. Restarting AE helps.
Which might be an okay and usual bug for an open source software... but Adobe?
Not a fan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. That's exactly what i've got... Including the jumpback one frame.
What is it? Any solution after 2 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem where my After Effects 2022 only playbacks 4 frames repeatedly, as if my "work area" is those only 4 frames. This happens everywhere in the comp when I press space to playback the comp, it just renders the first 4 frames and does that forever.

I already cleared my cache and memory and restarted my mac numerous times and nothing fixes it. Do you know a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem where my After Effects 2022 only playbacks 4 frames repeatedly, as if my "work area" is those only 4 frames. This happens everywhere in the comp when I press space to playback the comp, it just renders the first 4 frames and does that forever.

I already cleared my cache and memory and restarted my mac numerous times and nothing fixes it. Do you know a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same problem here. Updated to After Effects 2019 - it doesn't recognise half of my linked files, so I got back to After Effects 2018, and it doesn't preview anymore. It also stopped sending files to Media Encoder. Tried purge, didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very very tank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines