• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about HAP format

Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project for large screen playback, and it will be played back in Disguise in the HAP format. My video has to be rendered in 16-bit to avoid banding issues, but will then be converted to HAP.  I've read that HAP is an 8-bit format.  Does anyone know if that means convesion to HAP will reintroduce the banding problem?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8-bit footage, no matter what the format, is subject to banding. You can reduce the visibility of the banding by introducing a little noise in the shot. If you want to avoid 8-bit banding altogether, you have to ensure that there are no subtle gradients in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kalibahlu,

Thanks for writing in.

Here's an example of what Rick is referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWAp7E6OLok&ab_channel=JustinHemsley

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your answers.  I just found AfterCodecs which I'm about to puchase, but first, do either of you know if the HAP codec is included with Media Encoder now?  I see it's been around for a while, so maybe I just don't know where to look,  That way I can test it out before adding noise, in case it isn't necessary.  Thank you!
UPDATE:  I installed the HAP codec for Adobe CC, and compressed to HAP and HAPQ in Media Encoder, and came back to share my results. HAPQ looks amazing, but HAP looks very bad, a lot of banding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines