Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"No cryptomatte layers found." error

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
I am having a problem with the Cryptomatte effect. It shows an error "No cryptomatte layers found.", while the Extractor plug in detects the cryptomatte. I'm exporting the AOV from Cinema 4D's Redshift. I'm using all of the latest versions of every software.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extractor doesn't really "detect" anything, it simply fetches all channels it finds and can access. Based on that and your screenshot the assumption therefore would have to be that the order of your channels needs to be corrected for the Cryptomatte effect to work correctly. What you have currently looks pretty messed up if it's really stored that way in the file. No idea how Redshift handles this, though. The last version of C4D I have is from a time long before that...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If those are supposed to be Cryptomatte channels, they're not named correctly. Instead of Cryptomatte.red you should have Cryptomatte01.red. The numbers are required.

Did you render this from Redshift? You might have the Cryptomatte channels in another file and this file just has a Cryptomatte preview image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have been struggling with cryptomatte+AE on Redshift and Arnold.
Cryptomatte works just fine when rendered to separate exr-file, but when it is part of multichannel exr AE cryptomatte-effect says "no cryptomatte layers found". No matter how I extract the layer or precomp before applying the effect. 

I started to wonder is it possible have working cryptomatte in Multichannel exr, since Redshift forces it also to a separate file or is there some specific AE workflow that I am unaware of?

Thanks,
Lauri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If can be part of a multi-channel EXR. If you import the EXR as a composition, AE should set up all the available layers for you.

Can you provide a screenshot that shows all the channels in the file? Like maybe the list in an EXtractoR menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im actually have the opposite issue. I rendered out my AOVz as seperate exr's but for some reason I get the same error. But I have attached what I see when I import the file into After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the similar problem in Maya/vray to AE. Have you found a solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I'd recommend importing the EXR as a composition and all the channels will be set up for you. Or you can use the EXtractoR plug-in to see all the channels you have.

Cryptomatte channels can be in the same file as all the other channels, but Redshift puts them in a separate file for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still doesnt solve the problem. Following your workflow we still end up with this: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see in your comp, the bottom layer is something about Cryptomatte, although it might only be [red][green][blue] channels, not real Cryptomatte channels. If you can post an EXR, that would really help. You can also try the sample Cryptomatte files here.

Again, look in the same folder for another EXR file that might have the Cryptomatte channels. Redshift does this, will not put Cryptomattes in with the other channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines