Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

We are a 12 people team with the same setup:

Z640

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-4620 v4

64 gb ram

System Pcie SSD ( read 1200mb Write 1800mb ) + cache ssd( 550mb both ways)  both 512gb

Titan X pascal Or Quadro m5000

After effects 2017 14.2.1

Windows 10 pro

Dell 4k displays.

The issue is that while working on a project (doesn't matter what kind of project), it can be 10 sec or 30 min into working and then the ram preview stops working without any reason.

you press the Ram preview, it looks as if it loads it into memory and then it just doesn't play. in the info panel it say its playing real-time but it doesn't move from the current frame.

This issues keeps happening even after a purg all.

the only way to solve it is exiting after effects and reopening it.

Is it a bug ? any suggestions ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds strange. Those monitors wouldn't be P2715Q would they? Those monitors caused an issue when the multi stream transport option was enabled. Disabling MST got previews working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

the monitor is an HP Z32x. but it happens on dell as well.

Talked with support and they told me something corrupts the cache and told me to remove all plugins, and delete all cache. and give it a go.

i can't keep on doing it since i need the plugins for work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it as a troubleshooting step though. If it still has the problem without your plugins, you'll know they're not the problem. If it stops, great! Then we just narrow down which one it is, by installing some of your plugins and testing until you find the one causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bebunny,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nop. still happening. :[

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact same problem. Similar machine build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank GOD I found a thread addressing this. This is driving me absolutely crazy. The only solution is shutting down AE and firing it up again to only work for 10 minutes, sometimes more then bam, same issue. I would LOVE some advice on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Any word on this? It is a real workflow hindrance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue.  It happens more often with bigger projects (Like 3 MBs) than it does with brand new projects.  I'm running AE 2020 on a Mac by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
I think I found a solution. If you change audio hardware output device it starts working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked for me. Still annoying, but not as annoying as a restart!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixes it, thank you! This is where Adobe needs to start looking. I plug and unplug my headphones a lot during the day, and this could be part of the issue, I just don't know why one thing would affect the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver! This has been a huge problem inexplicably over the last few days. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too!! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All drivers updated, AE 22, PC, RTX 2080, 32 gig ram. m.2 scratch disk. Still having issue. Seems random, but costs 2-5 minutes and break in flow every time (many times every day). Wow, am I really loosing up to half an hour a day to this?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED - someone mentioned the sound so I played and found that this works and is fast.

1) AE preview stops working (sound or visuals)

2) Open "Audio Hardware Preferences"

3) Change the Latency up or down one. I bounce between 120 and 150.

ITS WORKING!

4) Next time it does it I bounce to the other Latency, 150 to 120.

* This has been messing with me for a while. I'm so happy right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this "solved" the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would the issue reappear again after you change the latency? Or does the preview continues to lag and then forvces you to change the latency again and again? The only thing fixing it for me is to change the audio hardware from MME to ASIO but that causes other problems as after effects takes exclusive control over the driver and you can not listen to anything else other than AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of Footage you are working? 4K footage? 8K? 16bpc? or maybe 32bps? It's not the same to work with a clips with 8bpc than 32bpc. Your issue could be in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this problem. The preview skips back one frame and then holds. Requires a restart to fix. I heard that this was somehow related to the audio settings not being set correctly ie: plugging headphones in or connecting via bluetooth, when the settings in AE aren't set for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep this is the exact thing happening to me.  Sometimes ill restart, but then immediately it does the bug thing and I have to save and restart.  Its very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My resolution to this is based on the audio hardware component below. I had connected an HP Z27X monitor, and after effects had chose it as my default output. I restored it to my internal audio card, and the issues seems to be resolved. So, checking on where your default output is set for audio hardware is a good place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and have for years. I'm pretty sure it has to do with audio hardware output. Adobe, get on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines