• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate Dimensions greyed out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something wrong in this position graph but i can't enable Separate Dimensions to edit it. Whats going on? Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 8.01.11 PM.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

AFAIK, you can only separate dimensions of the property "position" of the layer, you can't do that for the parameters of effects, even the "Position" parameter of the "Transform" effect

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Some stuff you simply can't Separate Dimensions and you're just out of luck. I'm currently experiencing that on the Position values of Contents on Shape Layers. Hate it! I get around this by doing the following...

Set up two Slider effects, one called POS X and the other called POS Y

ALT+LeftClick on Position value and enter the Expression below:

x = [pickwhip value to Slider POS X];

y = [pickwhip value to Slider POS Y];

[x,y]

Animate/keyframe the two sliders instead of the Position value

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, you can only separate dimensions of the property "position" of the layer, you can't do that for the parameters of effects, even the "Position" parameter of the "Transform" effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do we pay adobe 54.99 a month again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its becoming increasingly embarrassing that we pay what we pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, Im bout to go crazy. Struggling with the simplest things only to find out that is JUST NOT A FEATURE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nah fr tho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, i copied the keyframes from the Transform effect and moved it into the actual position keyframes of the clip. Fixed, Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, you can pretty easily get separated dimensions by applying three expression effects sliders to a layer and then tying the three position properties to those sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's nice. care to share more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re a bit of a legend… thanks :hundred_points: for this tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to solve this is to create a null object, and tie the position property of the effect to the position of the null object (via pick whip). You can then animate the null, with separate dimensions, full bezier handles and all, and get the same impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a null object. Pick whip the position properly of your object to the position of the null. Animate the null as desired. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying that, and I don't see how I can pick whip the "x" coordinate of my shape (not the layer - the shape witihin the layer) to an effect slider within a separate null object layer, and I'm having the same problem, which is that I can't separate out the "x" and "y" positions in order to pick whip each individual property to its own slider. If that were the case, I could just animate each without the need for the null object to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the null object, select "separate dimensions" and there you go. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, would this be possible for the point of interest parameter of the camera layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some stuff you simply can't Separate Dimensions and you're just out of luck. I'm currently experiencing that on the Position values of Contents on Shape Layers. Hate it! I get around this by doing the following...

Set up two Slider effects, one called POS X and the other called POS Y

ALT+LeftClick on Position value and enter the Expression below:

x = [pickwhip value to Slider POS X];

y = [pickwhip value to Slider POS Y];

[x,y]

Animate/keyframe the two sliders instead of the Position value

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Separating dimensions wipes out the ability to use the Composition panel to edit a motion path. The bezier handles disappear. Almost all motion arrays benefit from the ability to edit a motion path with the pen tools. In most cases, it is incredibly difficult to accurately control any path by animating separate dimensions. On the rare occasion that you need to separate dimensions to control the timing of specific paths at specific times, expressions can easily solve problems. I would be surprised if I have used Separate Dimensions more than twice in the last year. Those compositions would have been some kind of infographic involving attaching something to an animated graph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to right click on layer name and see if "3D layer" option is checked.
You can only see separate dimensions active if this option is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines