Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Black, Gray and White point in After Effects

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to fix the white balance but I can't find the tool that provides choosing these values, just like in Photoshop. I'm mainly interested in setting the gray point.

I'm following this tutorial, which works well in Photoshop, but I cannot do the last step in After Effects:

https://youtu.be/MUh3vZT0tbo?t=199

I can edit videos in Photoshop, but it's horribly slow.

I think I've looked through the color correction effects, but I haven't found it.

So my question is basically this; how can I set the gray point in After Effects?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

There is no such thing as a "grey point" on video. Typically it's refferred to as Gamma or midpoint. Things simply work differently. If you want a simple eyedroper-like workflow you can use Lumetri or other advanced correction plug-ins. Otherwise you just have to learn how to do it with standard AE effects, which would not be a bad idea, anyway, given how things like limiting color ranges for certain outputs or adjusting colors to compensate for compression may be necessary.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Another trick you can import the video you want to edit to photoshop or take a screenshot and do the same steps on photoshop then save the curve presets and import this preset to your curve in after effects, and you will get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as a "grey point" on video. Typically it's refferred to as Gamma or midpoint. Things simply work differently. If you want a simple eyedroper-like workflow you can use Lumetri or other advanced correction plug-ins. Otherwise you just have to learn how to do it with standard AE effects, which would not be a bad idea, anyway, given how things like limiting color ranges for certain outputs or adjusting colors to compensate for compression may be necessary.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another trick you can import the video you want to edit to photoshop or take a screenshot and do the same steps on photoshop then save the curve presets and import this preset to your curve in after effects, and you will get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your help.

I didn't know it was possible to import curves presets and it worked really well.

It wasn't much of a hassle at all. I really like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines