Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple way to dirty white text to resemble chalk

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm using the plugin Scribe to give a write-on effect on a blackboard but I'm keen to make the look of the text more akin to chalk than the plain white you see in the attached picture. This can't be achieved with a font as scribe generates the text as a shape layer. I'm relatively new to AE so I'm basically wondering is there any effect or something I can apply to the layer to achieve the look of handwritten chalk along the lines of what can be achieve with certain fonts?

Thanks for your help,

Frank

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could start here: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joost but actually that's not what I'm after. I have the handwritten effect taken care of with the plugin I mentioned above. What I am looking for is some effect or treatment of some kind of the resulting shape layer that will give it the look of chalk on a blackboard. Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roughen Edges can easily produce the flake-y effect of actual chalk when used with subtle soft settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try applying the "Roughen Edges" effect and maybe a subtle matte choker.   If the text is moving some precomposing might be necessary as roughen edges seems to be based on screen space rather than the text itself.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you'll get anything believable with a single effect. A combination of Fractal Noise as a track matte, font choice, roughen edges, gaussian blur, blend modes, and opacity on top of a decent background should give you something believable. I threw this together in about 3 minutes using an Adobe Stock image for the background.

RickGerard_0-1660575740485.png

A better font choice would help a lot. If you find the right background you could even apply Levels to a copy of that and use it as a track matte to bring the blackboard texture to the type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that fractal noise matte really helps to sell it.  I'll have to remember that.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help. That easily makes it good enough for my purposes. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know you've got all the advice you need but... there's also fonts free to use in Adobe Fonts that look like chalk:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/feltro#fonts-section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines