• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow preview even when it's cached

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have an annoying problem with my AE 2022. 

The preview of my composition seems to be cached, but when I hit the spacebar, it goes well for the first 2 seconds, and suddenly the fps drop suddenly to 6-15. 

I have experienced a similar problem before - it turned out that my resolution is "too high" (2560x1440 - is it really?), and when I changed it to smaller, it started to run smoothly. Now it doesn't work, so the problem is somewhere else.

Here: I have a green bar on the timeline, however the preview chokes and drops to frustrating 6 fps

Piotr5E0D_1-1648124066090.png

The composition is quite simple - the only thing that might be considered as "heavy" are 3d layers - however I used them almost every time so far - and yes they've always needed a lot of time to cache/render but when they did, it always went smoothly. But not today.

I worked at much more complicated projects, and I never experienced such problem. 

Mac specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

3,6 GHz  Intel Core i9 (10 cores)

72 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Hello, I have found a solution. 

I just unchecked the option with Multi-Frame rendering - it goes smoothly now, as it should. 

Piotr5E0D_1-1648128332206.png

However, I think it's a big shame that I have to disable this option because I considered a MultiFrame feature as a big gamechanger in the AE workflow.

I think it should be solved as soon as it is possible. And I hope it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have found a solution. 

I just unchecked the option with Multi-Frame rendering - it goes smoothly now, as it should. 

Piotr5E0D_1-1648128332206.png

However, I think it's a big shame that I have to disable this option because I considered a MultiFrame feature as a big gamechanger in the AE workflow.

I think it should be solved as soon as it is possible. And I hope it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting very similar issues. RAM preview slows dramatically while caching. RAM playback not realtime.

1) RAM preview bar goes green, then it "should" playback that section in realtime, but often it's far from realtime.

It's like it's doing a second pass.

2) I'll RAM preview a section, if it's playing back normally I'll stop it for a moment, do nothing, then preview that green section again. and it seems to be caching again, is very slow.

3) Simple animation will RAM preview fairly quickly as expected, for a period, then in the same section the green bar/red playhead will slow right down to about 1/4 of the speed. As though it's hit a more complex area. But it's the same thing, sometimes there's nothing there, or the actual animation has ended. It's never the same area each time it occurs, sporadic.

Emptying caches etc doesn't make a difference.

Restarting AE sometimes makes a difference, then it returns soon after.

Didn't think of, and have not tried turning off Multi-Processor rendering yet (still in denial that this should be the issue, damnit!). I thought it's more a RAM or Cache speed issue. Or even GPU. Or all?!?!?!

Yet it slows down more than if it were a single processor running. 

Other possible related issues in PS, Acrobat, less often Illustrator, Premiere and InDesign:

Sticking graphics, work area not refreshing (ie external window and palettes all fine).  Getting repeating areas as I scroll. Clears up when I move whole window, click elsewhere, change zoom.

Highly furious, especially because it rarely happens when I'm looking for solutions, only when under pressure of work!

iMac 2019, 3.8GHz 8 core i7

Big Sur / 11.6.5

64 GB RAM

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB

Caches on external T3 connected, RAID-ed SSD drives with SATA connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Paul Bekarian and @Piotr5E0D,

Thank you for posting about this preview issue. See this post for a fix that just went into beta: Fix for Cached Frames being Re-Rendered during Preview 

This may address the issue you are encountering. Please let us know.

Cheers,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jason_bartell 

Hey that sounds like the issue! So glad it's a known bug. I updated my old computer and Adobe products at the same time and could not tell if it was software or hardware.
We'll just wait that little bit longer for the update to be released.
You got any info on the other issues I mentioned, the sticky screens that don't refresh?

Thanks, Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Paul Bekarian  I was over zealous and posted before the fix was actually available in beta. NOW it is available. Here is a new link to the annoucement post: Fix for Cached Frames being Re-Rendered during Preview.

The sticking graphics is not something I'm familiar with. It sounds like this is not After Effects? I suggest a separate post to an application forum for an impacted product. If you include a screen capture and an example document then that will help us understand and isolate the issue.

Cheers,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines