• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trim layer won't trim to playhead

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to trim the right side of the layer to the blue line of the playhead but it trims a frame after. If I trim on the left side, it will trim to the playhead. I'm also taking a course and they're able to trim to the blue line. I has something to do with the highlighted area to the right of the playhead and it's more annoying than anything when trying to line up layers for an animation. 

Thanks for any quick replies that can point me into the direction of fixing this or adjusting a setting.

TOPICS
Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compositing and 3D apps almost always trim or set the out point to the start of the last frame so you can see what is going on in the last frame. This makes sense so you know where to put the next element in the composition. You always want to see the current frame when you are trying to line things up. If the CTI parked at the end of the current frame, when you added something it would be out of sync by one frame.

Editing apps always trim/cut to the end of the current frame. This makes more sense for editing. After Effects is not a Video Editing app. It is designed to create shots, and you just have to adjust to seeing the last frame when you set an outpoint.  The CTI is always going to park at the start of the current frame.

If you split a layer (Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + d) the original layer will be cut in the same way a video editor cuts. The cut will be at the start of the current frame, so the old layer will end at the CTI (Current time indicator), and the new one will start there. Splitting a layer is making a cut. Going to a specific frame always shows you the frame. 

I hope that makes sense. I admit it's a bit of a newsence if you are trying to use After Effects to edit a movie, but editing a movie in AE is a pretty bad idea anyway so pros don't do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the advice but I don't believe that's what I'm looking for. I've been using Ae for years now and I believe this may have happened during a recent update. I'm currently taking a "Mastering Motion Design" course through Ben Marriott and I would like one shape layer to end right where the next shape layer starts so that there's no overlapping by a frame. I included a screen grab and he doesn't have the highlighted one frame section after his playhead and when watching the course it's always trimming to the blue line and not a frame beyond. It's annoying that I can quickly trim a layer to the blue line on the left side but when I have trim the next layer on the right side, I have to manually adjust it. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.35.48 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines