Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

trim path animation

Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forum.

I have added a trim path to my shape object, and trying to animate it from revealing 0 to 100. But its not going up straight forward as I was expecting. When it animates it making like a radial type animation.

Is it possible to make the animation just go straight up like an animating bar (equalizer up down animation)

Thank you

Adobe-animation-010101.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use shape layers. Use a thin regular solid and apply a linear wipe effect.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mylenium says, if you don't have a path, the trim path operator does not work with filled shape layers. It works with strokes. The linear wipe effect is a perfect solution.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to create your shape with the Pen tool only with 2 points, not with 4. I see a rectangle and if you want to make a decibel meter with Trim Paths it is not a rectangle what you need, but a line.

Captura de Pantalla 2021-04-29 a la(s) 09.55.46.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trim Paths works on strokes. When you apply it to a shape that has a fill, it reveals the fill as if it were drawing around the outside of the shape. 

I would use a rectangle and just animate the Rectangle 1 size. 

You have also applied Gradient Ramp to the shape layer. You have a lot more effective and editable gradient fills available for your shape layer. 

Spend some time studying the User Guide by searching "animate shapes" using the Search Help field in the top right corner of After Effects. 

Here's how I would set up the animation you are describing:

Animated Bar.png

You could also just apply a gradient to a single wide stroke and use Trim Paths:

Trim Paths.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines