• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upscale After effects composition (HD to 4K)

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created 1080p composition in After Effects (added a screenshot) with a couple shapes, psd files, and plugin, but i need to export a video in 4k.

Is it possible?

How can I upscale my composition from HD to 4k without loosing quality?

Thanks for the help

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Make a duplicate of your 1080p Comp and add something like "_4k" the tail of the Comp name.

Choose File > Scripts > Scale Composision.jsx.

AE - File - Scripts - Scale Composition.png

In the Scale Composition window, leave "New Scale Factor" selected, enter "2.0" in the text field, and click Scale.

AE - Scale Composition Dialog Box.png

Close the Scale Composition window.

Open the "_4k" Comp and inspect the image quality while at Full Resolution.  

• Shape Layers should appear as good as they did before the Scale being doubled.
  • PSD files may need to have the Scale parame

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the settings of your composition to 4K, create a null and parent all unparented layers to it, scale it to 200%, turn on continuously rasterize for all solids

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was easier to just recreate that project in 4k composition, but for future reference when i changed existing composition to 4k, it all got distorted and layers changed their positions. Did I do smth wrong? Should I just leave parented layers as they were cause if i do, they are the ones that cause problems? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did exactly what I said (create a null and parent all unparented layers to it, scale it to 200%), you shouldn't have any problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE's Effect>Distort>Detail-preserving Upscale was designed for such a task.

There's also a new AI-based upscaling plugin for AE - https://aescripts.com/scaleup/

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He has all the original layers, so he should have cleaner results using those instead of effects or plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noted. I missread the info.
BTW, Warren's on the right track.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a duplicate of your 1080p Comp and add something like "_4k" the tail of the Comp name.

Choose File > Scripts > Scale Composision.jsx.

AE - File - Scripts - Scale Composition.png

In the Scale Composition window, leave "New Scale Factor" selected, enter "2.0" in the text field, and click Scale.

AE - Scale Composition Dialog Box.png

Close the Scale Composition window.

Open the "_4k" Comp and inspect the image quality while at Full Resolution.  

• Shape Layers should appear as good as they did before the Scale being doubled.
  • PSD files may need to have the Scale parameter set back to the same as it was in the 1080p Comp and be replaced with Detail-Preserving Upscale for better image quality if the Scale is now above 100%.
  • Effects (plugins) may need the parameters adjusted.  If you had, let's say, Stroke applied at 10, you may want to change the value to at least 20.

Render as you normally would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines